2520-based EQP-1A3 / 325 Utility Line Amp Project (Open Source)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z11111

GDIY Supporter
Chiming in here with a quick and dirty project. This stuff is taken straight off of data sheets — I can’t take any credit here for the circuit.

I plan to build some of Ian’s “Poor Man’s Pultec” filters and wanted to replicate the solid-state EQP-1A3 gain stage. It turns out that this is essentially an implementation of 2520 data sheet/application notes, similar to the API 325 Line Amp or Melcor line amps.

I have some Jensen 123/2503 style transformers lying around, so I hacked and slashed one of my existing projects to create a utility board. This board allows for various implementations of the unbalanced-to-balanced 2520-based line amp scheme used in the solid-state Pultec EQP-1A3, API 325, etc.

The board has a cutout that will fit a Jensen 123 / 2503 / Profile 4804 / CMOQ-2(?) size output transformer, with hookup pads placed close to the edge of the board for easy connection of a different transformer if needed.

The original EQP-1A3 line amp obviously does not have adjustable gain or output attenuation and while I don't plan to use them, I added those options from my aforementioned other project because again, this is meant to be a universal/utility board. You could probably mount a bunch of these boards upright in a 2U chassis and build whole rack of line amps.

There are many, many options for populating this board (which was the goal), so I thought it would make sense to share it "open source" with the forum.

Before I upload the Gerber files (to avoid any file confusion), I wanted to share the schematics to see if anyone notices any errors or likewise suggestions for any quick improvements. 
Maybe a one-time-only group buy if other people are interested?

Schematics are attached below as jpeg or a pdf.

Thanks! 

Edit: some of the application notes on the attached schematic are labeled wrong (such as calling “R3” the fixed gain resistor — it’s actually R2) and I will fix those soon.

---

*specs:*

• Dimensions are 130mm x 58mm, or roughly 5.1” x 2.3”.
  • Various jumpers exist for bypassing/omitting sections of the circuit.

• Audio I/O is on Phoenix terminals or JST XH and dual supply power I/O are also Phoenix terminals.
  • Pot footprints are for right angle Alpha 16mm, or can be run off board (or not at all).
  • Various ground connections/connections are available depending on your application.
  • Some of the component footprints are weird, yes I know — I based all of this around parts I have in stock.

Attachments

• Pultec EQP1A3 DOA Gain Makeup V1_1.jpg
    Pultec EQP1A3 DOA Gain Makeup V1_1.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 1
  • EQP1A3 Gain Makeup V1_1 (two pages).pdf
    128.5 KB · Views: 1
  • EQP1A3 stock 2520 based line amp schematic.jpg
    EQP1A3 stock 2520 based line amp schematic.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Automated Processes 2520 Audio Operational Amplifier Circa 1973 (Page 2).pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
  • Jensen JE-123-A Datasheet.jpg
    Jensen JE-123-A Datasheet.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1
  • EQP1A3 Gain Makeup V1_1 (Page 1).jpg
    EQP1A3 Gain Makeup V1_1 (Page 1).jpg
    753.9 KB · Views: 1
  • EQP1A3 Gain Makeup V1_1 (Page 2).jpg
    EQP1A3 Gain Makeup V1_1 (Page 2).jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
just a quick bump on this -- should this maybe be moved to The Lab?

Haven't really thought of any improvements since my initial posting, so will likely post the gerbers soon if no one chimes in.

Back