AKG Perception P220 to Neumann u87 5 min mod ( p200, p100, p400, p420? )

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The technician should restore the microphone to its original configuration and return it at no cost, effectively rescinding any agreement (contract) to install the part according to your instructions. This is the least onerous and least expensive remedy.

A contract arises only when the parties agree on all essential and material provisions of the transaction. Either the technician has breached the agreement by failing to follow your instructions, or, if he is confused and does not know what he is supposed to do, there is no contract. The can be no agreement, because the technician confirms he is either or both uncertain what you want or is unable to perform as instructed, demonstrating he did not agree to all essential and material provisions of the transaction. He is entitled to payment only if he performs according to your instructions. He should do nothing if he is confused or uncertain. He should not guess or take random action. Rescission is the simplest and least expensive remedy, restoring each party to where he was before transacting. You may have an action for compensatory damages if he cannot restore the microphone to its original state.

Gratuitous Sidebar - I disagree (in good humor) with Mr. @micolas -- the technician should NOT become a lawyer as he already failed both "Contracts 101," and "Paying Attention 100" - not to mention flunking "Communications 100." :)

Of course that is just MY take. Your mileage may vary. / James
Only a skilled lawyer can turn the victim into the accused and vice versa.
🤔

Last edited:
I have a P220 on hand i may get modded with a higher value cap-or perhaps try the Microphone-Parts mod kit-but i believe i'll be farming that out to a different tech:rolleyes:. Thanks again!
My honest advice:
@mikes425
Microphone-Parts mod kit not required.
It won't give you any added value over @kingkorg 's excellent mod.
You will just waste your time and money.
Surely there is an honest, experienced member of this group near your area who can help you. Or you'll learn to do simple microphone mods yourself ✨

Last edited:
Surely there is an honest, experienced member of this group near your area who can help you. Or you'll learn to do simple microphone mods yourself ✨

Right.

Perhaps Mr. @mikes425 can locate a local ham radio operator who can rework SMT boards. A local amateur radio club might provide a lead. I suspect many ops would do the job for free, or for a reasonable fee, perhaps even a case of beer. The trick is separating over-confident braggarts from humble, truly skilled operators - you want a guy who is actually good at this sort of thing.

I would tackle the task, myself, if I had more experience and confidence reworking SMT components. I have received both assistance and guidance from an operator in Albuquerque NM who builds development boards for weapons systems. Unfortunately, I am still a novice working to expand my skills.

In any case, this might lead to a properly skilled technician. James

Perhaps Mr. @mikes425 can locate a local ham radio operator who can rework SMT boards.

About a decade ago i had to do some troubleshooting on a 46" LCD TV mainboard that i got for dirt cheap - ended up needing to remove then resolder a bunch of 0805*-cased ferrite beads, only having a soldering gun(!!!) with the tip made out of a loop of ~1mm diameter copper wire. That, a pair of tweezers, determination and patience, but i got the job done (HDMI receiver chip was shot, internally shorting the 3.3v rail to ground).

Point being, "even" not having any specialized SMD equipment, a one-component-soldering should be easy enough, especially with an actual not-baseball-bat-tipped soldering iron 😁

As pointed out previously, this mod doesn't even necessarily require removal of the stock capacitor, so that's one extra headache / hazard / risk right out the window (y)

* 0805 is the same size as the stock 220pF capacitor in these mics, btw.

Im back
My brand new (black) perception 420 came in today plus my 680pf capacitors from mouser.

Ok lets try this again,this time leaving in the 220pf smd
And soldering in parallel on to it the 680pf for a total of
900pf 😛😛

I thought I wouldn’t like this, I LOVE IT!! Super mid rangy creaminess!! Im guessing im in the tlm67/ u89 territory?..

My 470pf will deliver tomorrow but i think im going to leave this as is for now since i own a real u87ai. I think it compliments it well in the mic collection

Oh and im still using my blue housing from my p420 i destroyed
I dont like the new black housing. 😎
So i got bored today and said lets try the 220pf stock
Plus 470pf for a total of 690pf _____instead 900pf….

Sounds so good. U87ai and perception 420 are now officially
Brother and sister 💕💕

Attachments

• IMG_0042.jpeg
    IMG_0042.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0043.jpeg
    IMG_0043.jpeg
    980.3 KB · Views: 0
😃
So at 900pf, would that be a vintage u87 sound?
It's closer to the U67, for a U87i Vintage sound @kingkorg used 680pF.
But you can use more values and a miniature dip switch inside the microphone.
It would be a very versatile multi-voice microphone

Attachments

• 464224_1.jpg
    464224_1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It's closer to the U67, for a U87i Vintage sound @kingkorg used 680pF.
But you can use more values and a miniature dip switch inside the microphone.
It would be a very versatile multi-voice microphone
Yeah thats what i prefer my perception 420 to be. More
Balanced / flatter like a u67 / tlm 67.

Last edited:
Yeah thats what i prefer my perception 420 to be. More
Balanced / flatter like a u67 / tlm 67.
The truth is that many old-school professional sound engineers prefer more neutral, flat microphones. Although they seem boring for vocal soloists (they don't really excite them in performance), they are more versatile, they capture beautifully, musically, a multitude of sound sources and they take EQ, dynamic processing, etc. very well.
Others prefer a more modern, sharper, biting sound.

Back