Tascam DP008ex Headphone Out…

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimG

GDIY Supporter
I was thinking I had blown out the headphone amplifier, because with signal going in and tracks armed, I can see the levels but can only barely hear anything through the headphones.

It was recently fine, but I’ve been running weird stuff into it in different places around the house.

Reading some online, the suggestion is maybe the solder to the headphone jack has become broken or loose, because of how often it gets towed by the headphones or other jacks in practice.looks fine from outside!

This emboldened me to take my “junk” thrift store Tascam DP-03SD apart to address a broken momentary “on switch”. I didn’t want to keep sending a shim in, so touching the two yellow leads by the display, work to both turn it on and turn it off. Gonna be especially careful about saving before shutting down!

If you didn’t know, the DP-03SD is the exact same machine as the DP-008 except with faders, and more functions on the top level, but I am not aware of any specification differences and the SD cards work interchangeably.

OK 9 screws and the back comes off, remove it from the SD card size first.

There does look like strain on the pcb by the jack?

The two screws on the top of the pcb don’t free the board connected by the ribbon yet.

Tomorrow I’ll remove the screws by the RCAs and XLRs and see if it all flips over together.

Attachments

• IMG_3492.jpeg
    IMG_3492.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3495.jpeg
    IMG_3495.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3497.jpeg
    IMG_3497.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3498.jpeg
    IMG_3498.jpeg
    396 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3499.jpeg
    IMG_3499.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well that wasn’t it. There was some additional force I couldn’t see discouraging a more vigorous dissssembly.

But heating the solder pads from the exposed side seems to have restored the signal out the 1/8 jack. .

Lots of monitoring solutions involving the rca monitor outs and tiny external amps, but the all-in-one aspect to this is so good for music and testing.

#strainrelief

Back