Say hello to the Burnalizer...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matta

A while ago I started working on DOA Telefunken V672 module and Mark Burnley, amongst others, came to my troubleshooting rescue. He suggested I trace the signal path and I was pointed to his DIY signal probe (http://www.diyfactory.com/data/mbsignaltracing.htm). Long story short I never built the probe as I found the problem to be a bad lytic cap without it. But it did make me realize at some point I need to make this probe.

I've had it in the back of my mind for a while and started thinking how I could adapt it and have a self contained test kit, and after brainstorming with a friend (Lourens Steyn) who has a lot more insight into schemo's, and breadboarding (read, I have little to none) we came up with a box of tricks.

I found a headphone amp schemo on the web and build one side of it connected to a 2 ½ inch 1W speaker, driven by a trusty old NE3354, we also built in a simple tone generator, with some resistors we had lying around, so it gives me around a 4K tone at Mic Level, 0db (-10) and 0db (+4).

It also has a nifty RED LED with a Zener on the probe so if I hit anything over +11V DC it lights up to warn me, not that is needed the speaker tells you as well ;-)

Excuse the pics, they were taken on my phone. I'll post better pics later, as well as the schemo and give credit to the sites we took ideas from. Our first design had to be adapted on breadboard so this box differs from the original design.

burnalizer1.jpg

burnalizer2.jpg

burnalizer3.jpg

It might not seem like anything new, but it was for me, as it was my first attempt and 'designing' something and using veroboard (perf) to make this funky box...

So in honor of Mr Burnley I called it 'The Burnalizer'

Matt

Thanks Guys for the kind words.

Viitalahde, this box covers 2 of your needs, the signal tracer and signal generator.

Part of my thoughts was to have Mark's probe, but connect it to a built in amp with speaker and a generator, making it self sufficient.

The bonus is that is battery driven off 2 9V's, with a voltage diver across them giving a -9V and +9V to run the op amp, so it doesn't need main and gives you a pure source.

It is so cheap to make, the box was the most expensive part, the only part I didn't have happy were the 2 transistors I needed for the Oscillator and a box to put it all in.

I'm sure there are guys here who could pick my design to pieces, I have very little background in electronics, so I'll post my design in a couple days and maybe some of the more senior guys could make adjustments.

That said it does work, which is a good thing. Only think I noticed is at 0dB +4db the Oscillator sine wave breaks up and ends up with harmonic Oscillation, but the other 2 output levels give a very clean Sine Wave.

Matt

I would suggest a tone of about 400Hz. After listening to anything over 1kHz for any length of time starts drilling a hole right through your brain.....

All the techs I know hate 1k.

Peter

So you are planning on postuing plans for this little guy

I 've been meaning to do something similar and you could save my "in school" ass a lot of time and effort that should be dedicated to studying

I have schematics from the oscilator section from my sony mixingdesk.
The oscilator section has white noise, pink noise and a sine wave with variable frequencie.
It does not look like a very simple circuit to me, but it might be usefull....
If someone's interested PM me, or shall I put a picture online?

Hey Guys,

Here is the schematic for the BURNALIZER.

burn.gif

I need to credit the following sites:

The probe was of course taken from Mark Burnley?s Signal Tracing Probe
The Oscillator was taken from the GEOFEX quick and dirty audio test oscillator
The amp and PSU were adapted from the Headwise Headphone Amp

Hope you can use it. I?m sure some may have suggestions and feel free to
edit it at will.

As a point of clarification the featured op amp in my unit is an NE5534, not
the OPA suggested in the headwise article, it was cheaper to use the NE5534
and we also beefed up the PSU to get 9V instead of the 4.5V in the Headwise.

I shared it works fine, and makes for a very handy tool.

Thanks again to my friend Lourens who neatly laid it out, if it was me you
would all be going ?what the crap is that supposed to be!?

Cheers

Matt

Back