My take on the 1176 <<< pics >>>

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, the original post is now recovered, though I am under the name "guest". Ethan - fine work! The most important thing is that the continuity of the threads isn't broken with missing posts. :thumb:

Time to comment.

The diode clipper is really just the tape compression circuit posted here earlier. A HF pre-emphasis followed by diodes and a de-emphasis. The only things different are that the op-amps are on single rail, the filter is slightly tweaked and I have two switchable sets of diodes there. Germanium and silicon. Hash & Crack. :grin: They can be out of the circuit, too.

That thing has tons of gain and when wanted, it can be clipped in various places actually. :shock: Or used as you basic 1176. With stereo link.

Coolest thing is the high pass filter. This one really need it!

I got a great idea from this project I'm working on!

If you're aware of parallel compression (adding compressed signal to non-compressed), the 1176 is the most perfect compressor for the job. Fast attack and a good range in release.

I'm doing a thingy where the original signal is multed, converted to M/S, taken to the pre-amp section of the 1176, back to L/R with some gain (and an output pot) and then mixed with original signal. :cool:

[quote author="radiance"]A lot of work in there I guess?[/quote]

Tell me about it. :shock: I think the next one will be quicker, I'll design a whole all-in-one PCB for it. FET matching is a bitch.. and I got a good run of BF245A's from Musikding.

But I got to figure out something for the meters. Sifams are just so damned expensive.

great job! It would probably take me about a year to build something like that...

how did you did you do the power switch wiring? Are you taking the 230V hot phase from the IEC through the box to the front panel switch and back to the power transformer? I got serious hum problems doing this on my GSSL :-(

Is the power indicator lamp running on 230V ?

very good decision not to mirror the knob placement on left and right, I think that is very confusing when actually operating the unit.

[quote author="martthie_08"]how did you did you do the power switch wiring?[/quote]

I don't have power switches in my gear 'coz I hate them, but I put them in for client gear.

In this case I took both phases to the two-pole power switch and used tightly twisted cable. Zero hum.

Tip: It's easy to make good, twisted cable with a battery drill. Take two wires of equal length, attach the other ends of both to something and the others to the socket of your drill. Keep it tight, start slow and in no time you have a good twist going on. :cool:

Is the power indicator lamp running on 230V ?

Nope, at the same 11.0xx volts as the meter lights. I dropped the AC from the 26.x VAC with a 47ohm 5w resistor. It gets pretty hot so I heatsinked it with that aluminium thing on the back panel. Doesn't shrink a shrinking tube now, so I quess it's not too hot.

> In this case I took both phases to the
> two-pole power switch and used tightly
> twisted cable. Zero hum.

ok, so you have it "quad-twisted" (back and forth) or two separate "dual-twisted" strands? Where did you route it - that is a little hard to tell from your pics - is it going through the middle or along the frontpanel to the side of the chassis? Thanks also for that tip with the battery drill, that will surely save me a lot of time for my next projects :)

I have my power lamp setup the same way, only that I am dropping it from 18V to 5V, 5 Watt would have been enough but I used an 11 Watt resistor cause it was available. Don't have a heatsink on it and it gets really hot, but has been going for about 4 weeks, so I think it'll be ok. I think those resistors are flame proof anyways, but the Wattage handling will go down when they get hotter than 70 deg celsius.

What's the next project on your bench? :) cheers, Marten

[quote author="martthie_08"]ok, so you have it "quad-twisted" (back and forth) or two separate "dual-twisted" strands? Where did you route it - that is a little hard to tell from your pics - is it going through the middle or along the frontpanel to the side of the chassis?[/quote]

Two twisted pair cables. They go just from the middle of the panel to the back, and then to the transformers. There's electronics next to them - no hum.

What's the next project on your bench?

The NewYorkDave passive EQ. :wink:

Latest posts

Back