newbie seeking help on capacitors for G7 mic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emperor-TK

So far, so good with my first DIY project, but I seem to have trouble sourcing the right capacitors for the G7 mic in the US.

I can't seem to find the right power caps anywhere. I tried Mouser and Allied, but they don?t seem to carry the right combination of voltage, capacitance, and radial leads that are needed.

Secondly, I can't seem to find polystyrene caps for the head amp either. Additionally, I could use some recommendations to the other caps in the head amp as well. I assume that quality counts here. Any links to where I can purchase would be greatly appreciated.

Other than the caps, I pretty much have everything I need and the machining of the mic is coming along nicely. I am going with a detachable capsule design similar to the Korby mic system. I am even making my own capsule, which is coming along nicely (so far). I'll post another thread on that when I get some pictures to show.

Thanks,
Chris

[quote author="Emperor-TK"]I am even making my own capsule, which is coming along nicely (so far). I'll post another thread on that when I get some pictures to show.
[/quote]
I'm looking forward to see them.

As for you questions, I'm afraid I wont be of very much help.
Let's wait for the real mic gurus.

I bought Wima MKS4 polyester caps, for my G7, but they're about a cm too big, is it sensible to bend the leads to make it fit ?

Again, not much help as I'm in Europe. I had no problem getting the parts from Radio Spares. Farnell also have a good selection of pretty much everything you need.
Don't get too stressed about the exact brands etc. Get it built and working first, then you can experiment with different brands when you come across them and see if you can tell the difference - if you can be bothered!

Ward - there is no problem bending wires on the caps to make them fit. Go for it.
Stewart

PartsConnexion and Michael Percy Audio both carry polystyrene caps. As does Surplus Sales of Nebraska.

For the .1uF (100nF) caps, I bought Wima MKP10's in 250V, from Mouser. for the 1uf and 2.2uf caps, i got Solen MKP-FC's also at 250V, available from several places, but I got them from AES.

Also, for the "High Grade' electro in the mic, I got a Blackgate caps from PartsConnexion.

Trying to find resistors that aren't super tiny like the Panasonics that Digijey sells, but aren't too bg for the board. Think i may go with Holco or IRC's from Mouser (they seem to be similar to Holco's.

Everything else, I'm pretty much getting from Digikey.
That is, once i can afford to make more purchases. :-( Anyone wanna donate some money :?: :green:

Daniel[/url]

i have a little question ?

i know that the two 100nF are here
for smooth power and reject interference.
So it's not a negligeable role

I have 2 100nF Sprague 716 "Orange Drop" Polypropylene
and 2 100nF Wima MKS

The Sprague are easily 8x bigger than the Wima.
I'm ready to mount the Sprague but I wanna know if i can expect a difference in the sound with them ? even small ?

What typical application of a 100nF can necessite
a so good capacitor ? if it's not to smooth power.

Thanks very much...

My G7 pictures coming soon ! :cool:

> I can't seem to find polystyrene caps

They are fading away.

You can always use Silver Mica: costs a buck more but that's no big deal in DIY audio, and Silver Mica is great stuff.

SM is also going out of fashion. For sizes below 5,000 pFd (rare to see a polystyrene or mica cap larger than that), just use Ceramic: NPO or COG grade.

Watch your voltage ratings. In the olde days, a 100pFd cap only came in 500V rating because anything less was too small to handle. Nowadays you can get really teeny parts in really low voltage ratings: you would not want to wind up with a 50V cap in a 300V tube amp.

Jazzy,

For power supply decoupling, don't expect to hear any difference between the 100nF's.

High-quality 100nF's have their place in e.g. filters and other frequency-determining circuits. And possibly in high-frequency powersupplies like SMPS.

Jakob E.

Latest posts

Back