my G1176 is done (with pics)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradb

I built it inside this old rackable hard drive case I got for free! Fired up right the first time. I matched the Fets and calibrated it using a mix between Gyraf's instructions, the actual manual's instructions and ProTools' signal generator and Trim plugin.

Very Cool. It's funny you posted this. I spent hours yesterday trying to decide if this was going to be my next project. Perhaps you could share some more about the calibration process. Do you have a U.S. parts list handy? Also, if you don't mind my asking what did your grand total come to? (minus front panel)

I'd like to make a channel strip of some sort. I'm still hatching a plan and arranging a budget. So any info, warnings, tips would be greatly appreciated from anyone who's built this version. Again, great work.

I used only a true RMS radio shack multimeter, and protools to calibrate my G1176.

Basically for the Q-bias, the Gyraf instructions were'nt so clear on how to set the input and output pots and where the Q-bias pot should start (these are important). I delved into the actual manual (link on gyraf's site) and combined the two instructions.

The 1176 manual calls for knob settings (check the manual) and for you to output a 0dB signal on the VU meter, well, the meter is bypassed for our G1176s! So I just output a -1dB signal (measured in ProTools Trim plugin) raised the input pot until I got 0dB out and then adjusted the Q-bias pot until I got it back down to -1dB. I think i was inputting a 50mV RMS signal....Does everyone approve?

The rest of the calibration is straightforward, i also didn't have a THD meter, I just listened. A spectrum analyzer could help also.

The project is a pain to get parts for, its just a hassle. Easy to build (i love stuffing PCBs!) pain in the ass to wire, mostly because i hate wiring. I think I spent, in total, 1 weekend doing it. I had to wait on some parts.

PM me with your email address and i'll email you my partslist XL file.

grand total... hmmm in the $300s?

You can use your clone's VU meter when doing the FET calibration by grounding the control amp input (pin 22, from memory), then ungrounding it while twiddling the trim pot.
i also didn't have a THD meter, I just listened.
So where did the trimpot end up? I'm just curious.

Latest posts

Back