ALESlS MlCRO LlMlTER schematic ??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthias

does anyone have a schematic for the alesis micro limiter??

this little box sounds really cool.. so I'd like to do some changes... better psu, attack control, better opamps...

btw: that box is based on the cem3381 ... anyone have a datasheet from cem with design suggestions??

thanks,
mat

I agree these sound cool! I don;t have any anymore, sadly. A bit noisy tho'. I think that the CM3381 was a 'special' for Alesis. Good luck with the schemo, Please post it if you find it!

ANdyP

Any Soundfiles Matthias? :?:

I haven't tried one of these... but what do you think about this one:
http://www.nrgrecording.de/tempfolder/compressor.mp3 (1,8MB)
(be careful with your speakers!)

Regarding the cem3381 i googled around and got some infos...
the cem3381 is from curtis electromusic specialties and they have nice chips for synths. The vcas is the prophet 5 were changed from SSM.. chips to curtis chips - because they seem to be better. Doepfer uses a lot of these ic's. Control Voltage from 0 to +5V. A dual vca in one 8DIP package.

http://www.synthtech.com/cem/cpda381.pdf

thanks... that's nearly the same what I have found... but there must be a datasheet from curtis with design examples for limiting applications...

anyway... frank, that sounds good... nice, heavy compression with enough punch in the lowend... so what is it..will you disclose the secret..??

I'll make some microlimiter samples now..

mat

and here are some pictures:

microlimiter1.JPG

microlimiter2.JPG

microlimiter3.JPG

[quote author="matthias"]
anyway... frank, that sounds good... nice, heavy compression with enough punch in the lowend... so what is it..will you disclose the secret..??[/quote]

Of course... It's my new roland sp-404 :green:
Poor mans MPC with 1Gigabyte sampleROM, 29 FX... also "exciting" :wink:

sp-404.jpg

Mods mods, did anyone do some on the Alesis Micro Limiter ?

I have some of them upcoming and was wondering
if the stated noisyness could be tackled by swapping the TL084's
for TL074's or that these are not the source of the noise.

Can imagine the thing better left as is (so if I swap, I won't go further than 074's),
But I'm still curious to what others have tried - and enjoyed or regretted

Cheers,

Peter

PS (originally posted this in the EU18 thread but that's the Brewery. better in the Lab I guess)

Got them in yesterday. Haven't looked in detail but as it seems there are several versions. Probably just little changes to the PCB only.

One is a rev.A with one of the voltage regulators too close to the plastic 'switch-stick'. The other one is a rev.C which has that regulator on a better location, away from the plastic stick.

I think Dieter Döpfer uses the 381 and 382 for the VCA-modules in his modular Synthesizer A-100. He used to, not sure if he still uses them.
O.K. just checked the homepage: He doesn't use them any longer:
a130
And guess what: He changed to the CA3080, strange, isn't it?

Back