Great Snare Smashing Limiter...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toffifee

GDIY Supporter
Smashing and shaping the snare... that is what the GSSL does well when hooked across my drum-subgroup. The snare gets a nice "flap", if you know what I mean...
The overall drumsound gets tighter, closer together. I like it very much. Thanks to Jakob for this well-documented project :thumb:
Pics of my unit:

Overall front view:
FrontGesamt~0.jpg

The filtered sidechain (thanks to Steffen!) is very useful.
Keeps the bassdrum out...
FrontMeterHell.jpg

Inside:
normal_Innen.jpg

The clone and his mom (or dad?):
normal_CloneAndMomFrontal.jpg

The sound and the reaction of the clone both seemed to be very close to the original inside the desk (it´s not my desk...). I am very happy with my unit.
Thanx to Frank (nrg-recording)!! :guinness: :guinness: You know what for...
This group rocks! :sam: :sam: :sam: Thanx to all!
Toff

Very nice job!

When I first saw this kind of design on both Jakob's and Frank's website I did not like it very much, but every time I see it "in the flesh" I think it looks stellar.

I think I'll go for this design as well, next time I'm building a GSSL....

:thumb:

Thanx for your kind words!

@kubi: Four jacks (parallel to XLRs) for input and output, the other two for external sidechain in and out - I haven´t wired them yet, but I doubt I will ever need an external filter in the sidechain (but who knows). Only two wires... but the compressor is currently in use, so it has to wait.

@radiance: If you want the fpd, of course I can send it to you!

@jens: No, it´s not my board. I had already written that in my first post; to clearly point out that I´m not a "big studio-owner" :wink: I´m more the live guy anyway.
Toff

Thanks for the offer. Is it done with imported hpgl files or is it done entierely in fpd?

[quote author="toffifee"]......., but I doubt I will ever need an external filter in the sidechain (but who knows).....

Toff[/quote]

Maybe not an external filter, BUT a trigger signal is very cool. Espacially if you want to make those tumpin'disco beats where the kick triggers all beats and hi hats (which are routed thru the gssl),but is not compressed itself.

[quote author="radiance"]Thanks for the offer. Is it done with imported hpgl files or is it done entierely in fpd?[/quote]
Each single scale is a hpgl-file, u can find them at Franks´site. The rest is done in FPD. I would love to convert the whole file to one hpgl, and see wether it would reduce the prize significantly (I want to build a second identical one, I have one of these meters left). But I haven´t had the time to learn how to do this. Maybe in the near future.

[quote author="radiance"]Maybe not an external filter, BUT a trigger signal is very cool. Espacially if you want to make those tumpin'disco beats where the kick triggers all beats and hi hats (which are routed thru the gssl),but is not compressed itself.[/quote]
Wow, I have to try this.
Toff

toffifee,
Thanks for emailing me & helping me out.:thumb:

So it can help everyone I'll post here.

#1 :?:
I asked you about the Power & bypass switches but what I need to know mostly about them is how many polls & throws did you use for each. Its very hard to see in the pics. I'm also not sure how to hook them up or if you modified them.

#2 :?:
You guys seem to know a lot about this thing having built one & I'm not new to DIY & component types but I am to PCB's.
What types of caps were used in the original? I've heard & know the difference of Poly & Metalized Poly but once again...not in this unit. Does either type end up on top & which do you (or anyone) prefer in your clone?

#3 :?:
You said you had a pdf on "Your" build to share & sent it to Frank. I couldn't find it there...his is different. Could you post it or send it to me. I could really use it.

Thank you very much
:green:

Once again I love how yours looks. Not to mention cheaper switches & the side chain fits.

[quote author="khstudio"]toffifee,
#3 :?:
You said you had a pdf on "Your" build to share & sent it to Frank. I couldn't find it there...his is different. Could you post it or send it to me. I could really use it.
[/quote]
Kevin, that is strange. I already sent you the FPD-File (FrontPanelDesigner - File, not PDF-File :grin:), check again the email I sent you.
If it is not there in my email, you can download the file from Frank´s site, it is online! Check "Frontpanels" and scroll down...

Toff :guinness:

Sorry. I thought you said pdf.

Yes, I did get the fpd & already turned the background to plain with black controls & #'s. I'm doing it myself with a laser printer. 2 days of crap trying out many types of waxpaper (label backing) & finally got it right. 2 LA-2A's completely done, now on to the SSL.
:green:

Have you tried the thrust circuit? I was considering adding another position to the sidechain switch to make that available too. Not sure yet...more research to do.

[quote author="khstudio"]
Have you tried the thrust circuit? I was considering adding another position to the sidechain switch to make that available too. Not sure yet...more research to do.[/quote]

Hey, you've read my thoughts ! :thumb: Since there'll be filters added anyway I'll be adding it as well, while at it.

You could 'spend' the 'external'-position of the highpass-circuit (Steffens circuit/Gregs PCB) or opt for a 1*12-switch that also adds even more frequencies (just to fill those positions) or limit the travel to 7 positions.

Note that the real incarnation of Thr*st seems to have two 'levels', you could probably do that as well. Also note that people who have used the Thrust-circuit were not very compressed, sorry impressed so we may gain little from it. Others said it was a nice addition, it's a simple thing to add so indeed why not try it.

Bye,

Peter

Latest posts

Back