Low Tech "2503" transformer winding (w/photos)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnalogPackrat

OK, I figured it made more sense to post this in the Lab than over on the 2503 transformer winding thread in the Drawing Board... I got on the winding bandwagon thanks to Mr. CJ. Met up with him before the holidays and got two sets of lams, two bobbins, and other bits and pieces. I had recently acquired some 3x34 trifilar magnet wire at a local surplus shop so I decided to try my hand at winding an output transformer for my APIs using it. I didn't need the fourth winding (VU meter) anyway.

I didn't expect to winding a bunch of things, so I set myself up with the lowest of low tech winding, uh, "equipment." Said equipment consisted of a few old books, some clean rags, some samples and offcuts of stone from my home remodel, a tapered stick of wood (found in garage), flat toothpicks, and yellow tape. Real cave-man stuff here.

I needed a way to allow the spool to smoothly unreel the wire and a way to keep good tension on the wire as I wound the coil. I arranged the books to support the spool so it could spin without rolling around or sliding off the bench. I folded the clean rags over the wire and stacked stone pieces on top to get a the right amount of friction for winding. The two stacks make it easier to back out a turn our two without fouling the spool. The bobbin fit over the stick and the flat toothpicks were wedged under to keep it in place.

The rag didn't produce enough friction so I added a layer of that thin white foamy sheet packing material inside the folded rag. This really worked well and solved the tension problem. Here are the first few turns going on the coil. Since I was using a three strand wire (instead of four as on the real 2503) and of smaller guage (34 instead of 30 or 31) I wasn't sure how many turns I would be putting on. I took CJs advice and just packed on as many as I could, leaving enough clearance for taping up at the end.

I got thirty turns per layer and at nine layers I had plenty of room left, so I kept going until I had 680 turns on the coil. Here is a good "winder's eye view" of the setup.

Measuring the raw coil inductance seemed like an interesting thing to do. The next step is adding the lead breakouts. I found some multicolored 22awg ribbon cable with the correct colors (per the original) and decided to use it.

-Ready to solder the starts.
-The Packrat in action with Mr. Weller (photo coutesy of Mrs. Packrat).
-Starts soldered and taped for strain relief.
-Finishes soldered.
-Last look at the breakouts!
-All taped up and ready to lace.
-E's laced--CJ threw in a couple of Nickel Steel lams which I used for the outer layers.
-Slip those I's into place.
-Add some brass machine screws, tap the lams all 'round to get them snug and she's done! :guinness:

If it works well, I've got another set of parts for a second one. Here are some measurements I made:

DCR of individual coils is 50.5ohms (one is 47ohms--slightly larger wire?).
Raw coil with air core has inductance of 8.12mH per winding measured with cheap-O Bel Merit digital LC meter.
Leakage capacitance between center and outer windings (remember I used flat trifilar wire) is 9.9nF and 6.7nF between the two outer ones.
Inductance of a winding with the core in is 0.82H (it was 0.5H with only the E's).

The lower DCR came from the center wire of the trifilar set which allowed me to use it as the primary to balance both the leakage capacitance and DCR on the secondaries. Not sure if it matters, but hey, it worked out. I noticed that I could squeeze the corners of the core and get the Inductance to read over 1.5H. I can't tighten the screws more because it starts to deform the core. Should I clamp the corners and epoxy/varnish the edges of the lams?

Does anyone have measurement for a real 2503, profile clone, and/or one of CJ's jobs? I'm curious how my bastard son of 2503 compares.

Thanks again to CJ for getting the parts together and for prividing all the guidance. When I finish my API pcbs I'll try the thing out...

A P

let him bask in a little DIY success before diving into details of improving it

it's his first DIY audio trafo !!

from here on the details are significant and endless
but it's all part of the fun

:shock:
!!!!!
where did that other post go ??

Kev--thanks for the feedback. I love my DIY!

PRR--I thought it seemed low. My CineMag CMOB-2Ls (bifilar wound) which have the same bobbin and core size, but use half nickel lams and half M6 measure around 8H while the CMOB-2Hs, which are all nickel lams get up around 15H. I don't know their wire gauge or #turns, but I thought I'd see somewhere in the 2-4H ballpark on mine.

For clarification these are laced lap 1 with no (intended) gap, for use on API pres (very little to no DC). I had planned on mounting them through the board using no extra brackets, but maybe I'll have to go off-board and use the U-brackets CJ provided. Any other ideas? Isn't there a simple formula to relate air core to M6 core given permeability or something? I need to read up more on magnetics now. Thanks for the help.

A P

[quote author="peter purpose"]Been at the sauce again Kev?[/quote]

either that or it's a seniors moment ??

I swear there was a post in between mine up there .... ?
:roll:

take another pill Kev

I posted something about the core-gap, between Kev's posts, then realized this is NOT a gapped core, the gap was between my ears.

> ! I think PRR is messing with us using his Super Moderator Powers <cue theremin>...

No. Any logged-in member has the power to Delete his/her own posts, which is useful when you post in anger or stupidity. See the
icon_delete.gif
button above your post.

I didn't realize so many people saw that post in the few minutes it was up; if I'd known I would have edited it in place (another any-member power) to show that I'd posted something and it was stupid.

What I said was: in a gapped core the gap faces must be very flat, must "kiss" so tight that a layer of clay pressed between them comes out almost thin enough to see through.

Then I noticed that this is an interlaced core, no gap.

The inductance is ample to 150Ω at 20Hz. I suspect the H-meter is using a much higher frequency than low-audio, and the effective inductance at 50Hz-20Hz is higher than the meter says. The flux does not go all the way into the core at 300Hz and higher, but that's cool since the inductance does not drop as fast as frequency rises. If it is working at 50Hz, it will work at 500Hz and 5KHz.

awesome photo-essay AP!
:thumb: :guinness: :guinness:
you are going where many of us fear (or are too lazy to tread).
please keep us updated on your progress and let us know how it
sounds in your a*p*i* clone.
cheers!
-grant

Thanks, guys! I can't wait to try it out, but I have to get cracking on stuffing a Fabio API pcb first. I never thought I'd wind one myself, but I'll tell you, if there is an audio transformer to wind, this is it. I mean, you saw what I used to do it. ANYONE could do this given the wire, lams, and a bobbin and some pointers from guys on the forum.

So, if you think you want to give the old bobbin a spin, I say go for it. BTW, once I started winding, it only took me about an hour to get those 680 turns on. Lead breakout was a bit fiddly--maybe another hour. Lacing up only takes a few minutes. So figure 3 hours or so for the first one.

Cheers,
A P

p.s. PRR--thanks for the additional info. I'll try to get a better measurement at low freq some other way. If nothing else, the proof is in the pudding, or the API clone as it were.

[quote author="AnalogPackrat"]ANYONE could do this given the wire, lams, and a bobbin and some pointers from guys on the forum. [/quote]

wah. I want to make one too. :cry: Is there a list of the suppliers to go to? Would there be ferocious minimum orders?

PLease show pictures when you get it in the API ! :razz: :razz:

Kiira

Kiira--There's a thread in the Drawing Board where CJ mentions some suppliers. I think you can get the bobbins in small quantities as samples. Not sure about the lams. Wire--surplus or maybe get three or four small spools of the same gauge and wind them all in parallel (or twist them then wind).

kato and Viitalahde--thanks!

[quote author="AnalogPackrat"]Kiira--There's a thread in the Drawing Board where CJ mentions some suppliers. I think you can get the bobbins in small quantities as samples. Not sure about the lams. Wire--surplus or maybe get three or four small spools of the same gauge and wind them all in parallel (or twist them then wind).
[/quote]

OH thanks much I will search for it and try and start a shopping list! It would sure be cool and bring my cost down on my apiclone.

Kiira

hey AP,
i know you are in the area and i was wondering where you got your surplus wire from. not to move in on your secret stash of surplus, but just curious as i'm pretty much just going to halted in sunnyvale at the momment for most of my surplus needs. wondering if you had any other suggestions for surplus around the these parts.
thanks.
-grant

p.s. get those api boards filled!! :green:

Back