Mastering Signal Chain....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therecordingart

I'm in the process of learning to master, and I'd like to DIY a chain....at least a stereo comp and stereo EQ.

A lot of mastering engineers seem to love GML and Sontec EQ's, but what about compressors?

Are there any DIY projects "stable" enough for mastering?

What do you think I should start looking at building?

Yes, I'm familiar with the META, but I want some opinions on what would be a good bet to build.

My local fav mastering studio Turtlerock (no afilliation... well a mate works there.. but :grin: ) uses a C1. Their chain tends to go, C1, Manley Varimu, Massive Passive, Pultec, L2.

So hell yeah, build a GSSL!

Justin.

I know a lot of mastering guys/girls and everyone has their own opinion. I know some who prefer eq first then comp and some comp the eq. there are few comps that come to mind for mastering work. obviously you gotta have a 670 hell DIY one :green: :twisted: . Seriously though the gssl would be great as would 2 X la2a's like the mastering lab although the ones they have are highly modified.

I'm going to build a PRR Varimu with 6SN7s for mixbuss. The few people that built this design are getting great results using 12AU7s as the original design called for (hint: search for posts with links to mixes by Svart). This design might not be flexible enough to be the only comp in your mastering setup, but it's less expensive than a GSSL to build so.... um.... do both! :thumb:

I don't know if this helps but my chain is:

1) Parametric EQ on each track (digital)
2) Buss tracks to reverb & misc FX (digital)
3) More EQ (Although my spectrum analyzer is post master)
4) Multi-band compress
5) More reverb? Maybe.
6) Exciter or anything else

Importance-wise it's a toss-up between the EQ and compressor.

I love that gluey sound of the GSSL. Someday I'll build one! I'll leave the tinkering with filters to someone else I think.

Well, one guy with a DIY mastering chain here.

Here's what I might use on a rock piece - in order:

-Sontec EQ clone
-Gyraf G10 vari-mu
-GSSL (with SC HPF)
-NY-Dave EQ

..I've recently used the NY-Dave EQ after the compressors, sounds purty as a "shaper" after the compressors.

But the chain depends a lot. Yesterday did a jazzy piece with nothing but a Sontec and G10 (only breathing with the music).

The next thing(s) up? A new console and a Forssell compressor maybe! :cool:

Latest posts

Back