my double 1176

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moamps

Hi,
I 've just finished my double 1176 compressor. There are a couple of small changes as compared to the original circuit; a few more ratios have been added, FETs are used instead of low leakage diodes, 12-step switches are used for attack and release control and PEAK-VU metering has been added.

1176_total.JPG

For more pics and schematics, you may check out my website.

Regards,
Milan

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]nice one, and nice work :thumb:
what are the new ratios you added ?[/quote]

I added 2:1, 6:1, and 10:1 ratios. However, ratios most useful to me are below 10:1. I'm still playing with correct resistor values, using my old Neutrik 3300 analyzer.

Regards,
Milan

WOW

I love how it looks....thing looks like mid 80 Marantz AMP....heehheee

DOES IT SOUNDS LIKE IT LOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations once again............

The origins of the silver aluminum panels in HiFi exist in the 60's but seem to take form in the early Piezoelectric Era (circa 1970-1980). (see also: Homo-Cocainus, Homo-Cerwin-Vegus)
This was just one of many. Hell hath no fury like a row of Delcos scorned!

Nice Workmanship Moamps!... Bok! :green:

Very nice I say! :thumb:

[quote author="moamps"]12-step switches are used for attack and release control[/quote]

How have you been liking this? I might just do this myself also in the next prototype of my stereo 1176/diode clipper thingy.

Hi guys:

Thank you all for such positive feedback.

Let me answer the questions raised.

First, the compressor sounds suprisingly good. :razz:

As regards the ratio/release/attack control switchers, I'm still in the testing phase. My objective is to achieve the desired ratio values and then find optimal values for the attack and release functions (and calibrate them for 4:1).

I am using FETs instead of low-leakage diodes for two reasons: a) I don't have any low-leakage diodes at hand right now; b) FETs normally have lower leakage than low-leakage diodes so I find them more suitable to my purposes here.

Regards,
Milan

Hi, nice looking indeed.

Question: Are the colored buttons the kind that turn colored when you push them, without leds? Where did you get them?

Regards,
Hejsan

[quote author="hejsan"]
Question: Are the colored buttons the kind that turn colored when you push them, without leds? Where did you get them?
[/quote]

Hi,
Yes, they are coloured switches without LEDs, manufactured by ITT CANNON, type SCHADOW. I salvaged them from a broadcast console. They are very good and reliable switches. As I have more units than I need, I intend to sell the surplus. New ones are also available from
http://www.buerklin.com
Sets of keys, type ITT Industries F.. (G075.500) 4 keys, 4?pole (part number 15 G 213)
Matching actuator pushbuttons.. (G075.800) FA201 (part number 15 G 434)

Regards,
Milan

Back