some nearly finished Urei 1176 - 'pimp my urei'

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrgrecording

After 2 years of sourcing the right components its nearly done. I know.. one knob is missing in the picture and the screws will be replaced with black ones... and no urei logo at the scale.. but who cares... :wink:
DIY is always nice, you can buy some parts here... and there... and don't need to buy all the parts at one time... Something like a hire-purchase. :green:

The modutec meters are from ebay. Thanks Scenaria for the link one year ago! Knobs and switches are from Andrew. Thanks to Ed, too. :wink:
An attack pot with switch can be found at RS.

Regarding the meter illumination... you'll need sunglasses :green:
I used 12 SMD leds... and they can be bright if you want. :cool:

They don't need much space in the racks... the pultecs are better. Only one year left to make some rack filling units. :cool: Any ideas?

1176s.jpg

urei1176_panel.jpg

urei_switches2.jpg

urei_leds.jpg

urei_switches.jpg

illumination.jpg

[quote author="nrgrecording"]Regarding the meter illumination... you'll need sunglasses :green:
I used 12 SMD leds... and they can be bright if you want. :cool: [/quote] :cool: yes
a new form of studio lighting
please use sun-screen
:cool:
The threaded inserts for the switches look good
... is there any evidence from the front ?

[quote author="radiance"]:shock: Again very very nice! Are these all for personal use?[/quote]

Yes. All for myself. Don't want to sell any of these. I heard some guys need at least 5 of them in the studio. And making one or 5 is not that much different. And with these ones I don't have any problems with software compatibility... they should work some years... uhh.. whats that smell? a broken transistor? :green: (joke) :wink:

Frank, great work as always ... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

but what DIY comes next ???
FÜNFLINGE ??? :green:
(sorry, don't know the english word for this)

where´s franks pimp my fairchild thread? wanna see 5 of those stacked

You mean he has not shown you you yet? Come on Frank, show the Fairchild now, I know you knocked a couple up between the hours of 2-3am!

All you have to do now it hook up the LED backlight to a flasher system and it will be disco baby, make the flash in time with the Gain Reduction! Hah hah.

Well done my friend, as always, they look amazing.

Cheers

Matt

Fünflinge? (i think its 'quintuples' in english or so) For heaven's sake! :green: Then I have to change my labroom into a children's room. :shock: The benches don't fit in my bedroom. :cool: :wink:

Fairchild? Does Rein Narma have some 6386s in the garage for me? :green:
The only thing i can do for a fairchild is to push some buttons to make a frontpanel... http://www.nrgrecording.de/Fairchild_670.fpd
Hey.. what about this idea:
buy an UAD card, make a 670 looking frontpanel, add some ucapps AINX4 midi electronics and pots to it and connect it to the midi port of the pc inside of the 670 looking 19" PC case. Something like a remote control. I only need to make a small electronic which shows the difference between in and output (gain red. meter) This could fill one rack again. :cool:

I just found this meter in my library :green:
meter.jpg

BladeSG: I bought the hole switch assembly from Andrew (purpleaudio). You could try to ask at 'pei genesis', the world distributor for commercial connectors... ITT and the ITT distributors normally don't sell in smaller quantities. If I remember correctly mnats had a source for this but don't know if they're still available.

Thanks. I'll try purpleaudio.

Mnats sourced them from Altronics (Aztronics) here in Aus but they don't carry the black ones anymore, only the red caps.

nrgrecording said:
Know this is an older post... but how you stick these switches on the back without using any screws from the front?  ???
Was thinking to use a kind of double layer, one plate with all the screws and then the front plate on it to cover everything up... but this looks much easier...  ;D

Are they easy to get somewhere or is it special stuff?

Special Stuff.
You'll need the threaded bolts (which are mostly only available in bigger quantities 100+)
You'll have to buy a toggle lever press
and you'll need a special tool for the toggle press where the M3 thread bolt will fit into. You can't just press anything on top of the bolt... you have to press it into the material where the "skirt" of the bolt is. Its based on the cold deformation principle.

Solution:
www.frontpanelexpress.com
Draw the panel... and where you want to have any bolts... add a 4,6mm plane surface, 1,1mm deep. And click on the checkbox "Place on reverse side" at the properties of this cavity.

I think someone used glue for fixing the switch assembly to the frontpanel. As far as I know it seemed to work... i don't mean the cyanacrylate glue but the glue where you can "supposedly" fix the hitch of your truck with.

Other people tried to fix the switches to the top and bottom of the case. Seemed to work, too.

However... if you have a 1176 pcb like the G1176 you need to understand the ratio pcb so that you can solder the resistors directly to the switches. I think there is some info on this at mnats website.

Goodl luck!

Frank.

Like Frank said, a couple of people have used "J-B Weld" to mount the screw assemblies.  It's tougher than
nails and should easily do the job for you.... although I think Frank's solution is more elegant ;D

Latest posts

Back