Parametric EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marik

OK Gentlemen,

I know, NYDave's or Pultec EQs would be the way to go. However, I need something with adjustable Q on all bands, and continuos steps and frequencies.
It seems that passives would not be an option.
What are the nice actives out there?
At the moment I don't have much time to invest into building (way too many other projects), so am looking into some nice unit to change signal caps for a good quality ones, and maybe use better IC's :?:

Minimum 4 bands.

One of the things I was looking at is Rane PE15.

What would you suggest?

Marik, I would also like a nice full para EQ, but I intend to take a section of the circuit and make a sweepable sidechain for a compressor. I have full para mids on my console and if you give me a few days i can scan the schemos for them. simple gyrator circuits. however I don't know of any off the shelf units you could modify.

:thumb:

Hey Marik,
I have the schems for the Am#k Mozar# RN module eq somewhere. Its a full parametric 4 band thing and it sounds pretty kick ass.. I'll scan it in and send it to you if you are interested.
let me know with a PM..
take care
Gil

[quote author="Marik"]One of the things I was looking at is Rane PE15.[/quote]

Be aware that the PE15 is a constant-Q type parametric. This is great for corrective eq (room / system eq) but less than great for creative eq, like you would do on a console. In that case you have "proportional" Q which means that the Q increases as you boost or cut more.

Small amount of cut/boost = low Q, gentle "bell".

Large amount of cut/boost = high Q, sharp "bell".

Svart,

If you get the schemo please post or email to me.

Gil,

I sent you PM.

[quote author="cuelist"]

Be aware that the PE15 is a constant-Q type parametric. [/quote]

Are you sure?
Just looked at the manual and it has Q control knobs.

http://www.rane.com/pdf/old/pe15man.pdf

[quote author="Marik"]What are the nice actives out there?
[/quote]

I just got the (legendary?) steve dove piece on console design. in it he gives a complete schematic for a 5 band EQ, with all component values. acording to FF, this is the "CAPS" circuit that was the basis for the wonderful sounding M1ll3nia m3d1a EQ. I would build this. actually, Im planning on it myself, when I have the $$. Im away from home for a week, but I can scan it whe I get back, if nobody else has it handy.

and there is the is the S0ntec. you don't have to go bezerk and make everything stepped and ultra mastering grade, though it is tempting. I bet a 2 band based on the 250 with ordinary ICs and pots would be cool and could be done really cheap.

mike p

[quote author="mikep"]Im away from home for a week, but I can scan it whe I get back, if nobody else has it handy.[/quote]

Please do! I'll host it if you need a host. :thumb:

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="alk509"][quote author="mikep"]Im away from home for a week, but I can scan it whe I get back, if nobody else has it handy.[/quote]

Please do! I'll host it if you need a host. :thumb:
[/quote]

Concur!

What about digital jobbies, if you feed them from digital in?

What do you need the EQ for?

I tend to not use fully parametric EQ's in the studio because they seem a little over the top. I mean if I have to slice and dice that much I really messed something up down the line. I do have a cheep Aphex one, but I rarely use it because it sounds like a cheep paremetric EQ. However I use them all the time for live stuff, where you can't always tweak mic placement and selection etc.

My favorite Parametric EQ for live stuff is the KT DN-410. The cheapo Aphex parametric EQ I have is the 109 it even has a tube in it! :roll:
I think you can buy for like $150 at GC.

Also the Ashly SC-66a is an OK cheep parametric EQ I used to have but rarely used.

[quote author="Marik"][quote author="cuelist"]

Be aware that the PE15 is a constant-Q type parametric. [/quote]

Are you sure?
Just looked at the manual and it has Q control knobs.

[/quote]

Constant Q does not mean that you can not vary the Q of the filters. It means that the Q stay constant as you vary cut/boost settings.

Look again at the Rane site, I believe they have a primer on equalizers in their long list of informative documents.

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.rane.com/pdf/constanq.pdf

I did build the Mozzart EQ as well as the preamp, sounded very nice indeed.

However, I cant get to the CAD files to load into my new layout programme, & the old one wont run on XP.....

Still working on it tho.

Peter

[quote author="nacho459"]What do you need the EQ for?

I tend to not use fully parametric EQ's in the studio because they seem a little over the top. [/quote]

Need the thing for correcting uneven pianos. That is, it is impossible to voice the instrument absolutely uniformly. There is always one or two notes "sticking". Even if you pierce the hummer, inevitably after awhile it will be back. Once you catch it and send the tuner to fix the note, it can be too late and I hate to discard good takes for that reason, so applying a a narrow knotch just for particular note helps.

Another thing, many Steinways seem to have a problem, where one particular register is "dead" (usually about an octave, or so). It is much easier to pull it up with parametric.

[quote author="cuelist"]
Constant Q does not mean that you can not vary the Q of the filters. It means that the Q stay constant as you vary cut/boost settings.

Look again at the Rane site, I believe they have a primer on equalizers in their long list of informative documents.

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.rane.com/pdf/constanq.pdf[/quote]

Oh, I see. Thanks.

Hey there,
it took me a little while, but here it goes..
The files are kind of big, but it was the only way to be able to read the schems.

I threw in some other schem as well.
Please share the pcb design, if anybody tackles one of these..

Mozart RN

4band EQ
www.braudio.com/forumfiles/Mozart/MozartRN_4BandEQ.pdf

EQ switching and Pot
www.braudio.com/forumfiles/Mozart/MozartRN_EQswitch_pot.pdf

Mic Pre
www.braudio.com/forumfiles/Mozart/MozartRN_MicPre.pdf

Mix amp
www.braudio.com/forumfiles/Mozart/MozartRN_MixAmp.pdf

LR Buss Driver
www.braudio.com/forumfiles/Mozart/MozartRN_LRbussDriver.pdf

Happy diy..

Gil

MikeP..
Sorry to ask, but I've been hunting for that steve dove CAPS article...if theres any chance i could get a copy of it I'd be very grateful.

What ever happened with all this stuff? I'm pretty interested in the Amek 4 band. I think it could make a nice addition to my studio. Did you ever get that CAD file to open Peter?

Matt

Latest posts

Back