My first ground up project ...1176 (almost done) PIC

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRE Productions

Well I am so jelious of the front panels everyone is doing. So I am trying to figure out how to label mine. Here is a picture of the two infants. One is electronically ballanced input, and the other transformer input. I could not decide on which to build....so I built both. I am just waiting for the 1.1K resistor for the power supply.

Anyway, here is my little old humble pair of 1176's (minus the front labeling). Any suggestions on a easy DIY process for the label....hook me up.

Joe

1176Clone1.jpg

Wow! You Da Man! Very nice. As far as the front panel goes, I've tried a couple of things. The first being decals, don't bother ( unless you like the look), and screenprinting. Since I have a small screen printing business, it has worked out pretty well. You could also check around here about the engraving process that alot of guys are having done, there should be plenty of info. Congrats on your project! :guinness:

Hey Joe,

Looking good.

RE the panels, well it is a personal choice thing I guess... my first DIY box looked like this:

ghetto_front.jpg

While I was happy with it, I thought if I'm spending all this money and time making these things, surely it worth the extra couple bucks and getting them engraved and drilled, so it actaully looks as good as it sounds?

At first I tried decals and had success, like my SSL Buss Comp:

ssl_panel2.jpg

I didn't have much luck with it outside of using a silver panel and I like black.

So after I while I moved to engraving and drilling. I'm not sure what the costs are at Front Panel Express, but I think you could get the basic drilling and engraving for under $100 or less. Like my G1176:

1176_alt_front.jpg

I choose not to ink fill mine because it costs more, if you have a good bench drill you could prob just have the holes marked at the engraver and drill it out yourself, saving even more money.

I've not tried silkcreening, but it seems like a good option as well.

Cheers

Matt

Well done Joe, looking good even without the labelling :thumb:

@matta: Who do you get to do the front panels if not by FPE?

Steve

[quote author="BladeSG"]Well done Joe, looking good even without the labelling :thumb:

Steve[/quote]
Steven from Nottingham UK
www.cncpanels.co.uk

[quote author="uk03878"][quote author="BladeSG"]Well done Joe, looking good even without the labelling :thumb:

Steve[/quote]
Steven from Nottingham UK
www.cncpanels.co.uk[/quote]

Thanks for that.

[quote author="sintech"]Really nice job :thumb: where did you get the knobs btw?[/quote]

I got the knobs from a guy online. I think they were like $0.75 each. The little knobs are pretty small but they still look great. I think if this had labeling on the front, it would be totaly exceptable clone. The knobs really look UREI....

I actually ordered extra knobs, but I might build another unit in a 1U rack.

Joe

Back