MXL 1006 capsule is???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiira

I built the Royer mod into a $50 MXL 1006 but I was wondering how to tell which capsule is in there? I don't know if it is a 797 or not and I've been reading they are the better one. ???

BTW.. wouldn't the Lomo head for the MC012 be a good capsule to use with the Royer circuit? I was quoted $235 for the head once. You would have to make the body acourse but a machine shop guy could do that probably. It would end up looking something like a Baby Bottle and might sound a lot better than a Chinese capsule Royer.

just a thought. I would like to try it when I have some money. It sure won't be expensive coz I have my first PS and a tube already, I bought two for my first Royer... plus I have a pair of Octavas anyway.

Kiira

Kiira,

I may be wrong but I don't think any MXL mics were built by 797 Audio.

Fielo were manufacturing for MXL but the story goes that MXL "poached" staff from Fielo and set up their own manufacturing facility in China so whether it is a Fielo capsule or not would be anyone's guess.

(aka Ausrock @ HR.com)

:cool:

I'm pretty sure a Shanghai-made 6 micron capsule is in the 1006. The 2003, on the other hand, has the 3 micron capsule from 797.

Supposedly, MXL has their own manufacturing place in China, but they use capsules from both the Shanghai and 797 factories.

Ok. Well I'm confused. I guess I'll just go buy a U47 instead. ha ha.

It would be cool if there was a listing somewhere of chinese mics and what's in them. The only ones I own are a Alesis/GT AM11 and the 1006 though.

foo. I have the broken mixer blues.

hello i am about to start the royer mod on my 1006, are you happy with the result? which xformer did you use? thanks for any tips you may have.

thanks

The following MXl are a 32mm china capsule(OD of the capsule). Now the MXL microphones seem to have good QC. Not sure who makes them.

I think I have 15, MXL 1006/m57vs cheap useful to learn on.

7, MXL v67s tubed, new solid state circuits, other mods

2, MXL V69s a couple parts changed

2, MXL 2001s tubed

a few other microphones with china 32s tubed and solid state

The MXLs all seem to have the same capsule and are fairly close.

One of my fence pipe body microphones uses a 32 mxl and the microphone used for honeybear was a tubed V76 stock capsule and grill with a nice tube circuit.

The MXL 32mm seems to work well with the Royer circuit.

The LD 797sI have seen have a plastic ring with 14screws like a Neumann

What are the heater and B+ and plate voltages at under load in the microphone body? HINT

There have been threads here and the old place with how to ID a capsule.

thanks gus,

now for the question. which mod to attempt on the 1006. i thought about the royer but im not even sure the transfo and pcb will fit (its smaller than the 2001), are there any alternatives with good bang for the buck?

i heard this mic already uses the schoeps (sp?) circuit.

thanks

ok after many searches and reading the meta heres where im at....

mxl 1006 -
Change the one on the back of the board to a 1000pF polystyrene.
Change the two little ones on the outer edges (marked 224) for .22uF Mylars and the two bottom ones (by the white red and black wires - marked 223) for.022uF Mylars

mxl v67g - full Royer mod. (even though its not a 2001)

i will do the mods and post results. (anyone know if replacing resistors with metal-film will greatly improve the 1006?)

off to the bench... thanks all

[quote author="buschfsu"]Change the one on the back of the board to a 1000pF polystyrene.[/quote]
Try polypropylenes too. You may or may not like it better, but it will sound different, so you need to try them and see. Also polypropylenes from different manufacturers will sound different from each other so keep that in mind as well (Panasonic will not sound like WIMA same value, etc.)

[quote author="buschfsu"]thanks, if i remember correctly you were the one who posted the mod info...[/quote]
Thanks, but Gus was the one who spear-headed all of this cool MXL mic-mod stuff. It's all over the internet now. I would even wager that MXL's "improved" versions of some of their products was a direct result of his "free" information.

anyone who is interested, my SPb1s have ceramic rings, not plastic. I thought it was plastic but I tried to score it and it was ceramic.

For those wondering about the royer mod and other such tube mods on mic. here is some food for thought, Who says the audio trafo has to be in the mic VS being in the PSU?

[quote author="pucho812"]For those wondering about the royer mod and other such tube mods on mic. here is some food for thought, Who says the audio trafo has to be in the mic VS being in the PSU?[/quote]

I would not say "has to be", but I would prefer audio signal going in parallel with powering wires to be balanced. And minimized chances of disconnecting signal path with DC combined.

[quote author="Wavebourn"]

I would not say "has to be", but I would prefer audio signal going in parallel with powering wires to be balanced. And minimized chances of disconnecting signal path with DC combined.[/quote]

fair enough. but where space is limited it's the only way. I have been doing it and so far have not run into issues but I been using sub mini tubes where the average plate voltage is around 100- 125VDC I would Imagine on something like a 12aX7(modern china tube mic standard) where the plate voltages is upwards of 300VDC+ might be more of a problem. :?

Latest posts

Back