New DIY mic....this time a square one!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebra50

For your delectation,  some pictures of Gus's latest creation...

GusSquareMic1.jpg

GusSquareMic2.jpg

GusSquareMic3.jpg

Can you guess what it is?

I don't know but it looks pretty cool. Something Dracula would cut vocals with. Or maybe you would find a mic like this in the Bat Cave..... :twisted:

[quote author="bluebird"]I don't know but it looks pretty cool. Something Dracula would cut vocals with.

:twisted:[/quote]

You mean it looks like a cheasel? :grin:

Hey guys! Nobody even wondered how it sounds! This shape of the grill offers very little reflections and standing waves. And I love this cool mic. Reminds me era of some weird, but wonderful Russian mics.

[quote author="Marik"]
Hey guys! Nobody even wondered how it sounds! This shape of the grill offers very little reflections and standing waves. And I love this cool mic. Reminds me era of some weird, but wonderful Russian mics.[/quote]

I understand it sounds very good indeed. I think a lot of thought has gone into this. Look how quickly the capsule wire gets to the tube grid! And that's a big transformer too.

'Square' is the new 'round'!

:thumb:

This is not a bad idea... construction of a "real looking mic" using pipes and all that is the one thing holding me back. But a square enclosure, this is more feasible for me. :)

Can you mount it on a regular mic stand with an adapter? Or are you going to DIY your own mic stand?

Thanks for the nice words. The grill was inspired by the f117 and the neumann u49 and e49. The idea is to reflect the sound waves away. The grill on the microphone in the picture should work ok for cardiod and figure 8 but not as well for omni because of the two parallel sides.

Take a good look at the new E49 from soundelux very nice design IMO.

I have a more complex grill design in my head. I need to build it and test it. It should work on all the patterns.

The microphone is not done it will have a pattern control and a rear skin dropout. It might have a switchable B+ for some tone changes

It has the MBHO CK12 type capsule, Tab-Funkwerk iron, telsa ef86 and a led cathode fixed bias inspired by the u47 bias circuit.

Its a prototype build with metal I had. I kind of like it because it is ugly. As you can see the power supply is on a piece of plywood. It also has to connectors one for power and a XLR for signal.

Can you mount it on a regular mic stand with an adapter? Or are you going to DIY your own mic stand?

Well, over on Klaus Heyne's forum, I posted some flights of fancy about using holographic isolation tables:

The Thread In Question

You can make your own vibration isolation platform with some wood, a bunch of sand, and a motorcycle inner tube.

:green:

The schematic was posted in the past. I am thinking about the type of damping and mount I want to build for it.

Gus,
Did this circuit get posted? I recall posting the solid state idea, but don't remember posting this. Maybe it was at the other place?
Stewart

Stewart

I can't find my scan right now. It might have been posted at the other site.

I drew a new basic schematic I will email to you

Gus,
is it marked 'MPVS tube'? If so I have it and can upload it - (although it may have to wait until tomorrow now).
Stewart

Stewart

thanks for posting it.

This is a basic schematic. I did not mark some values or tube type because it will change for different parts used.

Look close at a u47 circuit. The LED here is so I can change the heater voltage and keep the bias close to the same. The helper R is something to study.

The multipattern circuit fragment has the best of what I have read and thought about.

This one is not a clone but it is inspired by a number of microphones, U47,U49,E49,U67,VM1. I have tried to take the best of what I learned for this.

I hope this inspires others to try different shape body and maybe circuits that are a little different.

Latest posts

Back