My new ribbon mic pic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marik

Hey guys,

Just to let you know, I also have been busy lately--here is my new ribbon mic:

MyRibbonMic.JPG

Marik, I remember whwn you posted the ribbon made from pencil boxes. Man this latest one is beautiful. I look forward to some more details.

Ohoooo. :grin: :grin: :cool: :cool:

Classy.

Is that a modified copper pressure fitting on the bottom?

Dean

Gorgeous!

So that looks like a double length ribbon with the magnet assembly similar to your avatar.

What transformer and how is it wired?

Stewart

Sihakta ota !!! :))
Marik, looks VERY COOL WORK!!!!
What magnets did you used?
Inside pics???

Very cool :cool: , do you have any other pictures or details on building the ribbon. That is really fine looking. Has it been clear coated or laquered? I bought some plumbing brass pipe to try to build a mic and this may be the perfect project. Post all that you can for info or add a URL if you have a site. Sweet :grin: .

Thank you Gentlemen for your kind words!

Just today I pulled my first 'pencil-holder mic' and looked at it. Yeah, that was quite crude... but anyway, it is dear to me as a first child.

I will make some more pics of insides later and post it.
As for details, I cut the body on milling machine out of brass tube and brass coupler, both found in local plumbing store. The bigger diameter side of coupler originally was longer, so I cut it to make short. The other side is a perfect fit for XLR insert. I had to make a slot with a file. I did not put any finish yet, and took the pic while it is still shiny :grin:.

At the end of this week I am going to LA, where I will have some sessions, and probably have chance to compare to some high end ribbon mics, so I will know about its sound much more. In a meanwhile, I compared it only to old Electrovoice EV-1 ribbon, and they just cannot be compared, as this one has much higher output, much better HF response, and is just... better mic.

I am still working on finding the best tuning resonance of the ribbon, and some acoustical arrangements and other refinements. The trafo is my favorite LL2911 wired as 1:37, and I am using 1.5um ribbon.

Latest posts

Back