Transformer articles posted

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodderboy

GDIY Supporter
I mentioned my transformer impedance measurement experiments to a friend, and he loaned me these copies of articles from Audio Engineering magazine in the 1950?s.  I PDF?d these 18 articles on input, output, and interstage transformers.  I never saw the Audio Anthology books, but I am sure that some of these articles are there.

Here is the healed link to the first group, and all 7 are there again:

http://www.twin-x.com/groupdiy/albums/userpics/Transformer_Articles_1.pdf

I am building a test jig based on measurement info from the Prodigy fora and some of these articles.

I really appreciate the knowledge shared in this community.  Searching through the topics discussed here has been a sort of life preserver while treading water during recent unemployment!  I am glad that I can finally bring something to the tech library here. :green:

Mike

Thanks, Mike. That's great stuff.

Audio Engineering was a great magazine. I have 1950 (complete) and 1952 (all except April) and I've found a lot of great stuff to scan, some of which I've posted here. I hope to collect more issues someday.

Nice...I think this should go into meta section, for safekeeping and easy reference.

analag

Thanks alot, these are great. Printing them now for latter reading.

Also, when you come accross something that should be in a meta, open the appropriate meta and post a reply with the proper information. It is our job to file stuff into metas. The poeple who manage the metas are not going to see every message that should go into their metas, we need to help them out. Saying these should be added to the the meta does not help much, although it might have this time, I added them to the transformer meta.

adam

Or hows about being able to address the authors directly in the good ol' days?

Dear Mr. Svengali Santo-Disgrazzia Croix. . .!!!

Regarding your rant in Mix August, 1989. . .

There have to be at least three moldy, but complete collections of that magazine in basements in the US. I dumpster-dive all I can, but have not found one.
We are in the process of cheering and celebrating a huge brain trust into the great reward. I see it on a microcosmic level. Let's all try to pass it forward.
OOO-RAH!

Those Audio Anthology volumes are great--I own them all--but they present only selected articles from Audio Engineering, they're not complete back issue sets. A lot of great stuff was left out of them, as a matter of fact. The Anthologies have more of a home hi-fi emphasis, whereas in its early years the magazine published much on the topic of professional studio equipment and techniques. In fact, it served as the journal of the AES until about 1953.

snappy gator here on some j pegs,

what interests you the most?

design formulae    (yuk!)

coil geometry        yeah!

leakage  L and C        ok

jus tell me what to snap, and let snappy gator do the rest,

the camera, is no stranger, as you can tell, from the impaired bandwidth of all my stuff,  ;D :D

Not really sure. Just trying to absorb some info on transformers. If its mostly about designing them, then this is a bit over my head for now. I'm mainly trying to understand how they work in different situations. I just stumbled on the bill whitlock article in the handbook for engineers last night. I own the newest edition but never even thought to look in there.  But that article looks exactly like what I'm looking for. I'ma gonna read it as much as I can starting tonight.

CJ let me know if you think you got anything like this, and I'd love to look at it. If not, thanks for the snappy offer anyway!

Latest posts

Back