Inside the Groove Tubes BRICK

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unheardof

I know this is nothing revolutionary, but I took some pictures inside the Groove Tubes BRICK micpre/DI.
The input and output transformers are encased in metal, with no visible marking, so I have no idea what they are.

Well, they're big and heavy. :wink:

I had one apart and came to the conclusion that the block diagram printed on the bottom (which is your third picture) bears only scant resemblance to the actual circuit design. My chief reason for thinking so is that the output impedance changes a good deal when you change the gain, which suggests a variable-feedback output rather than the straight pot and fixed output stage they seem to be suggesting in the diagram.

Oh, and the specs for gain range are way different than what it actually does.

Peace,
Paul

Hey look "The Brick"'s got a submini. I always thought those things were the coolest. Some of those things are supposed to have a huge life span and the ability to withstand a massive amount of shock. (During WWII some were developped for use as proximity fuses in anti-aircraft artillery shells and able to take 20,000g of shock.)

Latest posts

Back