can someone recommend some free schematic/PCB software?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiira

Hi,

I would like to make better schematics of the stuff I build, which is all tube stuff. I have looked at expressPCB/SCH but it has no tube stuff in it. Is there any free or *very* cheap software around which ya'll could recommend? It would be great to have the correct base pinouts and symbols for lotsa different tubes.

thanks!

The free ("lite") version of Orcad is pretty good. It comes with a triode symbol, and other tube symbols are available on the web (see below). Fill out a form and they'll send you a CD.
http://www.orcad.com/downloads/demo/default.asp

Randy Aiken's Orcad tube library is available on this page, under "Reference."
http://www.harmonicappliances.com/links.html

Here's an example of a simple schematic made with Orcad Lite:
http://electronicdave.myhosting.net/miscimages/lineampC.gif

There's also Circuitmaker Student, which is OK, but I like the look of Orcad schematics better.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]The free ("lite") version of Orcad is pretty good. It comes with a triode symbol, and other tube symbols are available on the web (see below). Fill out a form and they'll send you a CD.
http://www.orcad.com/downloads/demo/default.asp

Randy Aiken's Orcad tube library is available on this page, under "Reference."
http://www.harmonicappliances.com/links.html

Here's an example of a simple schematic made with Orcad Lite:
http://electronicdave.myhosting.net/miscimages/lineampC.gif
[/quote]

cool thank you. This looks like what I am looking for, I downloaded it and installed it... all except it seems quite hard to use initially. I can't find which app to use for drawing schematics yet. ha ha.

thank you though - the schematic of your line stage (with feedback?) looks beautiful.

Kiira

[quote author="kubi"]ExpressPCB and ExpressSCH: http://www.expresspcb.com/

(Or EAGLE Layout Editor Light Edition or Free PCB.)
[/quote]

see the problem with those is they have no tube libraries. I only know how to design things made from tubes and mostly that's all I build.

thank you anyway though!

Kiira

Kiira,

You've probably figured it out by now; but the application to use to draw schematics within Orcad is called "capture." Like any other piece of software, Orcad takes some getting used to. I suggest spending a little time learning the keyboard shortcuts, as they make the process of drawing go a lot faster. Also, familiarize yourself with the process of editing parts by selecting, right-clicking and choosing "edit part." You can make your drawings a lot neater by shortening pins, etc.--plus, it's important when you want to change pin numbers, which you will have to do if you use Orcad's triode symbol, since it doesn't conform to the usual JEDEC 9A basing a la 12AX7 and its brethren.

the schematic of your line stage (with feedback?) looks beautiful.

Thanks. You can read about the many iterations of this design here.

Hey, what's the origin of your name? I've only known one other "Kira", and that was my girlfriend back in high school. I think she once told me that it's Persian for "sun."

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Kiira,

You've probably figured it out by now; but the application to use to draw schematics within Orcad is called "capture." Like any other piece of software, Orcad takes some getting used to. I suggest spending a little time learning the keyboard shortcuts, as they make the process of drawing go a lot faster. Also, familiarize yourself with the process of editing parts by selecting, right-clicking and choosing "edit part." You can make your drawings a lot neater by shortening pins, etc.--plus, it's important when you want to change pin numbers, which you will have to do if you use Orcad's triode symbol, since it doesn't conform to the usual JEDEC 9A basing a la 12AX7 and its brethren.

[/quote]

yeah it's not totally intuitive but I'm getting the hang of it... found how to start a schematic and how to insert the symbols from Randall aiken's tube library. i can edit those as needed. cool! I will redo my tube amp schem on my www page and explain the circuit. woo.

Thanks. You can read about the many iterations of this design here.

oh excellent. I usually try and learn the design principle of something new looking like that.
Hey, what's the origin of your name? I've only known one other "Kira", and that was my girlfriend back in high school. I think she once told me that it's Persian for "sun."

I was born in Finland. Kiira is a Finnish name. I think it means something like "designated driver NOT" :)

kiitso!

I was born in Brooklyn, where "David" means "Aw shit, I can't be bothered to think of a more original name." :wink:

Best of luck with Orcad! (I wish I could afford the "full" version...).

[quote author="NewYorkDave"] "Aw shit, I can't be bothered to think of a more original name." [/quote]

I thought that was hte kings county translation for "michael", "Christopher" or "Tony"...

dave

yer eagle rocks....like ijr said - ballache to get ya head round, but once u have there is no other... :thumb:

You can also check out any of these:
http://www.duncanamps.com/spicesim.html

I personally like LTSpice/SwitcherCAD III as it was easier for me to figure out than ORCAD for simulations and there is no limits on parts etc. Duncan also has tube symbols made, or you could open one of his example circuits that have all the tubes.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Best of luck with Orcad! (I wish I could afford the "full" version...).[/quote]

Heya NewYorkDave,

OK dumb question but does the full version support export as PDF or PS or something? I did a really lovely schematic of my tube pre yesterday but the only way to export as a pdf so I can put it on a web page is with an Adobe product called pdfwrite and it's a commercial product. Do you know of a workaround? Cool program! I got the hang of it pretty fast just the export thing is holding me up.

thanks!

Kiira,

I'm not sure what the full version supports, since I'm just using the free version. Maybe I should try to talk my employers into buying the full version for my enjoyment :green:

As for exporting schematics as graphic files, I've been doing it ghetto-style: I just use ctrl-printscreen and paste into a graphics program (I like Irfanview), then save as a GIF. Of course, this only works for smaller schematics that will fit (legibly) on the screen without scrolling.

In the past, I've exported as a HPGL plot file and used a freeware utility to convert to a graphic file. That was a long time ago, in Win 3.1 days (and I was using the old DOS version of Orcad).

Don't laugh, but at my job, when I need to put one of my Orcad schematics into a PDF, I take a hardcopy and throw it on my scanner, and create the PDF with my scanner software.

As you can see, I'm not the most computer-savvy person around. I'm sure someone else can offer a better suggestion.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Kiira,

I'm not sure what the full version supports, since I'm just using the free version. Maybe I should try to talk my employers into buying the full version for my enjoyment :green:

As for exporting schematics as graphic files, I've been doing it ghetto-style: I just use ctrl-printscreen and paste into a graphics program (I like Irfanview), then save as a GIF. Of course, this only works for smaller schematics that will fit (legibly) on the screen without scrolling.

In the past, I've exported as a HPGL plot file and used a freeware utility to convert to a graphic file. That was a long time ago, in Win 3.1 days (and I was using the old DOS version of Orcad).

Don't laugh, but at my job, when I need to put one of my Orcad schematics into a PDF, I take a hardcopy and throw it on my scanner, and create the PDF with my scanner software.

As you can see, I'm not the most computer-savvy person around. I'm sure someone else can offer a better suggestion.[/quote]

Hey that worked beeyoooteefool! Check it out

http://www.2tough.com/~kiira/rec/micpre.jpg

I used printscreen and pasted into paint shop pro and just saved it as a jpg. Thanks!!!

:grin: :grin: :razz: :razz: :roll: :roll: :wink: :!: :!: woot! Like OMG it really looks like I know what I'm doing when I make it into a nice schematic ha ha.

Looking good! Don't forget to credit yourself on the schematic. This is, after all, the wild 'n wooly internet.

Hey, that Newcomb transformer referenced on your schematic, is that an octal plug-in? I have an old Newcomb tube mixer that needs those. Do you have a source?

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Looking good! Don't forget to credit yourself on the schematic. This is, after all, the wild 'n wooly internet.

Hey, that Newcomb transformer referenced on your schematic, is that an octal plug-in? I have an old Newcomb tube mixer that needs those. Do you have a source?[/quote]

'K yeah I will. :)

The Newcombs came out of, I think anyway, an old Grommes tube mixer and they are weird... they use an octal sized NINE pin socket. I am actually using the Newcombs right now not the Jensens. I could not find a socket for them at all so I took apart some Molex connectors and used the individual pins to solder to. I am going to rebuild the Kiiratronix Tube-O-Tron 9000 so itw ill be the Mk II version and use the 9 pin sockets that a DIY friend sent me from Holland on the outside of the case and parallel wire with the octal sockets for the Jensens so I can swap them. I would like to add VU meters too. Oh and build a better power supply. Right now it uses an unregulated supply with a 6X4 rectifier tube.

tra!

Kiira

Yeah, that's the one--a nine-pin octal. (I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but that's the standard term for it).

Hey, is the pinout printed on the can? Could you post it? I have other nine-pin mic input transformers, but I'm not sure the pinout is the same as the Newcomb (and I haven't had a chance to trace out the Newcomb's sockets).

The ones I have are Harman-Kardon XT-3 and the pinout is:

Primary:
600 ohms, 8 (high), 5 (low), 6 (centertap)
Secondary:
50k, 9 (high), 1 (low + electrostatic shield).

You can export a vector .dxf drawing. Most vector drawing programs will open them, that way you don't lose resolution.

[quote author="ChumpitO"]You can export a vector .dxf drawing. Most vector drawing programs will open them, that way you don't lose resolution.[/quote]

Cool cool. Thank you. I suppose then I could save it in various formats from the vector drawing program. The resolution seems to hold up well enough for web display and even printed out from the jpeg pretty decent - I mean readable without a magnifying glass anyway .

Kiira
CEO
Kiiratronix Heavy Industries
" Making yesterdays technology today! "

Back