another PM1000 for the heap...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milkmansound

just wrapped this thing up - I racked these about a year ago, but it was back in my "just getting into DIY" phase and they looked like crap. Front panel was a reused blank plate, screwed to a rack shelf.

Looked like this, and had to be bolted into the rack in order not to fall to bits:

pm1000-old.JPG

Its amazing after all the moving I have done that that even lasted - but here they are in a trusty old par-metal enclosure:

pm1000-1.gif

outputs are still unbalanced - which is ok for the time being because they are only going 8 inches into my sound card in the rack.

pm1000-2.gif

pm1000-3.gif

Good work :thumb:

How does it sound?
...do you like it?
...& on what?

Mine sounds great on vocals
Cool on snare too
Haven't tried too much else besides Kick & bass also but it didn't seem to have enough low end... I think this is due to the 100uf output cap.

Originaly a 33uf. It seems that a lot of the Yamaha (PM) boards have a FINAL output cap of 100uf, so I thought it should be enough.

I'm just getting ready to try a:
1000uf/35v Nichicon PW
& 1000uf/25v Nichicon ES Bi-Polar

on the second channel for comparison & see if she wakes up the bottom a little without ruining what's already KILLER about these pre's... I love it - Full of character & energy.

Did you make any changes to the circuit/caps?

Kevin

I did recap these before I racked them (if thats what you call that) the first time. It made an enormous difference - and I would someday like to get another pair and not recap them, cause it was all color. They are a lot more versatile now.

Sure, the low end is not insane - but I really like the low EQ on certain things - adds just a little more muffin to the breakfast if you follow me.

I have used these on just about everything - they are a workhorse for me, cause they were the first real preamps I ever had for a while, until I built the hamptone. And now of course I have built quite a few but now that they look real, I will probably fall in love all over again.

I do not remember which caps I put in there - I bought a recap kit from a dude on ebay over a year ago for like $10 cause he bought in bulk. I will look and get back to you.

the darker blue ones look like Panasonic HE (I think). the light blue--did you replace them or are those the originals? It almost looks like the originals (from your pictures). that or you have a "hybrid mix"....

Mike

Latest posts

Back