Phanthom from B+ ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shabtek

can this bet done? why is it not advisable?

I'm thinking R to C and some zeners to derive +48...

whats the catch--the chance that b+ could make it to the mic if something failed?

i recently read that phanthom current can be up to 14ma or at least thats what should be designed for...so guessing 20 ma total, with simple zener regulator and a secondary rated at 50 ma-----is this not practical? would 30ma not be left over for the B+ current?

depends on how much current what ever the B+ is powering needs. Also, if you have a very dynamic current draw, you are left without the extra headroom of having all 50ma.
but it does depend on your setup.
I usually find my self trying to get as much power out of my high power/B+ as I can. To design a high voltage power supply that is also powering something that can be done more simply, with less expencive parts, doesn't seem worth it.
If you have a spare power supply laying around and want to convert it for phantom, thats fine with me!

whats the catch--the chance that b+ could make it to the mic if something failed?

Yes - that is what keeps me from using this approach in projects like the G9.

Too dangerous at component failure.

The voltage multiplier is a simple and easy solution for phantom, IMO.

Jakob E.

I've dropped and zener regulated (if you want to call it that) 265VDC for phantom on several two channel rigs, with no problems in over 6 years so far. It's relatively cheap to do, but here's the framework and the catch:

Two tube units drawing less than 10mA

Power One 265VDC 100mA PSU

Two channels worth of voltage divider / dropping networks. Two resistors, zener, and cap per channel. (If I remember correctly; still consuming first coffee).

You have to use at least a 10W resistor in top position (in case of any lower component failure), and you eat about 50mA from the 265VDC for 2 channels.

So, its an enormous amount of heat you add to your box, and you have to pay close attention to the various failure states and what will happen to current and voltage when calculating parts wattages, cap voltages, and actual divider output with zener failure towards open state. I don't remember if zeners tend to fail open or shorted, but you should plan for either.

Those #s are from memory, I'm sure there's a faster math wiz who can walk through the calculations for us. It keeps working fine in the few boxes I've done, but it still gives me a queasy feeling at times.

I did the same thing with 300.

Problem is your phantom voltage will move around depending on current draw of mics.
So you say, no problem, I will just bleed 20 ma constantly thru the divider to keep it stiff, well, now you really have a lot of wasted energy and space taking power resistors, so I went and spent 5 bucks on a pwr trans and never looked back at that idea.

do you need a trasnformer?
i have a couple here that will get you 48 without any doublers.

flying caps and phantom always makes me wonder about noise.

I've got that multiplier thing going off of a filament winding also. 8 years, no problems.

Back