Green pre - wow, great sound

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stefanzap

This might not be the right forum for this, and they've been lauded plenty, but...

After a couple problems (one blown reg on the PSU, and some grounding/interference/noise issues) and determining whether or not 18v+/- was safe, I fired up the green pres yesterday and... nice!
Hey, my microphones sound way better through this thing!

I recorded violin playing - which I think is one of the more difficult sounds to reproduce well, and it's interesting to hear the difference between the green and an Alesis pre and an M-audio (yes, I know there's no comparison).
Besides the much lower noise floor, the Green has better dynamic response - sharp attacks don't have a harsh edge to them. Overall, dynamics are just better.
There also, it appears to be, is a better handling of overtones, which results in a smoother, more natural sound.
Overall, that's the best word to describe them - very natural.

The gain on the boards is also incredible - and soo quiet.
This preamp with a shotgun mic is a sick listening device. :grin:

I was able to hear things going on across the neighborhood with the shotgun with no problem. Only ever was able to do that with a Sonosax mixer. (I felt like Gene Hackman in "The Conversation")

Thanks to Ted for the boards, and to Joe for facilitating.
Also, thanks to Rob at Handcrafted Tone for the Psu and advice.
Obviously, thanks very much, Peter!

Hope you're getting better, Ted.

Glad yer' appy :thumb:

People ask me to describe the sound of the Green & my strongest impression is the extra dynamics it seems to impart to the sound. Everything has more "life" to it.

& very quiet too.

OK, back to dancing about architecture...

Peter

I actually just Finnished my 2 Channel Green pre today...I had a few problems with blowing the Phantom Power regulator a few times (Clumsy with a DMM) and I still have a Problem with the Phantom power takeing several minutes to shut down completely (Must be a residual charge in some Caps or something)......

I don"t have a Scope so I can not set the CMRR and I can"t find detailed info on how to do it with a DMM so I guess I will leave it as it is....

As for the Sound: well one of the Channels sounds pretty clean accept that both channels DO have a Backround Hum that gets louder as the Gain goes up, I also have a couple settings in the Gain switch were there is a really bad hum but it goes away when you move the Gain to the next setting.....

I have tested all the Ground wires with the Ground at the end of the Plug and I have 0 to 0.1 ohm of impedance Max so there shouldn"t be a ground Problem so I am thinking that maybe the Hum has to do with the CMRR???
Or could it be because I am useing 4 small EL Transformers wired together to give me enough current that might cause the humm (Maybe from the Magnetic field emited from the Transformers??)??

Does anyone know of a link that explains how to set the CMRR with a DMM???

And I also want to thank all of the Poeple who helped me build this and answered most of my questions even though sometimes quite crypticly and thnax for putting up with my sometimes stupid questions.....

ThanXX

Hi Stefan,

Congrats !

Glad you got everything working on the Green Pre boards we sent you.

And yes, I am getting better after my accident. No full time work, but at least I'm on the laptop and on the "LAB" again! Thanks for asking!

Regards,

Ted Jolly
GRS Systems, LLC
http://www.grssystems.com

Minion said:
I actually just Finnished my 2 Channel Green pre today...I had a few problems with blowing the Phantom Power regulator a few times (Clumsy with a DMM) and I still have a Problem with the Phantom power takeing several minutes to shut down completely (Must be a residual charge in some Caps or something)......

I don"t have a Scope so I can not set the CMRR and I can"t find detailed info on how to do it with a DMM so I guess I will leave it as it is....

As for the Sound: well one of the Channels sounds pretty clean accept that both channels DO have a Backround Hum that gets louder as the Gain goes up, I also have a couple settings in the Gain switch were there is a really bad hum but it goes away when you move the Gain to the next setting.....

I have tested all the Ground wires with the Ground at the end of the Plug and I have 0 to 0.1 ohm of impedance Max so there shouldn"t be a ground Problem so I am thinking that maybe the Hum has to do with the CMRR???
Or could it be because I am useing 4 small EL Transformers wired together to give me enough current that might cause the humm (Maybe from the Magnetic field emited from the Transformers??)??

Does anyone know of a link that explains how to set the CMRR with a DMM???

And I also want to thank all of the Poeple who helped me build this and answered most of my questions even though sometimes quite crypticly and thnax for putting up with my sometimes stupid questions.....

ThanXX

Hi,
I recently modded my 4 channel Green Pre, by removing my 30VA transformer from the 19" rackbox out into a separate box. Now it's dead silent. There was some magnetic hum in the channel next to the PSU before, especially when using old ribbon mics on high gains. So I decided to do something about it. This is the shit!!!
Thanks again you people here for this amazing Mic pre project. Excellent work and support. I might post some pics again.

/Lars

Latest posts

Back