fooking green pre wierdness

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ptownkid

Built two channels, one works great, the other has an odd problem.

The output sounds great until you make a loud enough noise that is clips really bad, but it's not clipping within the audio program nor are the leds going into the red.

The pin voltages are all bang on on all 5532's, and all 5 chips have been taken from a working channel.

No idea what to check next.

[quote author="Ptownkid"]...what is considered "hot"...[/quote]
Just hot enough for it to distort like you said it was doing. Start at the input and look at the output of each stage. Where you first see the distortion occur narrows it down to the section that's causing it.

The quickest way if you got the stuff is run an identical signal thru both and see where the one is fooking up at-bad solder joint or wri=ong value something or other is my guess...

Ok, so I switched out the 550's for shit and giggles, and still the same dilemma. I am going to run a signal through them both and A/B em on my scope, but I'm just not entirely set up to do that at the present time.

Curiosity question, if I run a sine wave through it, will it make noise?

I know that's probably a dumb question, but I'm not entirely positive.

[quote author="Ptownkid"]Curiosity question, if I run a sine wave through it, will it make noise?[/quote]
If you have the output connected to some amp/speaker it will. (Is that what you meant to ask?) I'd un-hook it's outputs before testing.

Use a sine wave and just check the outpit pins on the 5532's as they go thru the stages. Then you'll know what's up and where...

Back