Idea for band bypass switches for Calrec EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonicwarrior

In another forum (synthesizerforum.de in german only, sorry) I came up with the idea for a band bypass switch for each of the 4 bands.

Pros:
- No need for a center detent 10k linear pot
- The center detent is usually not 100%

Cons:
- An additional switch (on the frontpanel)

Another user there who has way more knowledge about electronics suggested to to this the following way:

Solder a switch in series (corrected from "parallel") to the 5k1 resistors at pin 2 of IC 6A/8A/10A/12A (Schematic).

As I'm an electronics newbie:

Do you think this works?

I've done a search here before and look at the META pages for the Calrec EQ but didn't found something like that.

That won't do what you want... oh no. -What it will do is give you noise and righteous boost/cut!!!

-No, what you need is a switch in SERIES with the 5.1k resistor at pin 2 of each of the cascaded summing nodes. -Perhaps this is what you meant?

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"]
-No, what you need is a switch in SERIES with the 5.1k resistor at pin 2 of each of the cascaded summing nodes. -Perhaps this is what you meant?
[/quote]

Oh sorry, that was a mistake in my translation. :oops:
(German "in Reihe" means "in series" not "parallel")

Cool. -That'll work then. -It may be nice to switch out summing nodes, but you can only do that in pairs, since each node inverts polarity. -For what it's worth, this is why some manufacturers allow switching in two mids or high & low bands as pairs... Of course to do this with the Calrec, you'd have to look at the sequence that the bands come in...

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"]It may be nice to switch out summing nodes, but you can only do that in pairs, since each node inverts polarity. [/quote]

You say "switch out", so this would not be a bypass for the frequency band?

An alternative would be to switch to ground instead of the "slider" (dont' know the correct english word, in German: "Schleifer") of the 10k pot, right?

The band bypass switches should make sure that the frequency band which is bypassed is not affected by the EQ.

Are you really shure that that the "band bypass" wouldn't work this way?

The normal signal flows the above line through the 20k resistors
and should not be affected by the "band bypass" switch.

Here is how the switch would be implemented:
- Affected are the 5k1, 2 x 6k8 and 20k resistors
(in the original schematic: R51, R78, R91, R117)
- Solder in only one leg
(which one doesn't matter)
- Solder the other leg to the switch and the switch
to the PCB where the other leg would have been soldered normally

Latest posts

Back