Another new microphone - Large diaphragm this time

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stefanzap

I just built a side address microphone using the tsb2555 capsule which Mark Strong at JLI Electronics just got a batch of.

Here's a link to some pictures of the construction, and some sound clips.
http://www.stefanavalos.com
(go to the DIY section and then the Large Diaphragm page)

It's a/b'd against the tsb165a. I'm curious to hear people's thoughts.

avaldc01-small.jpg

hi stefan,
very nice work on your LD build. i've checked out your site before and have been impressed with your simple but very useable builds (based on the schoeps/scott's schems).
as far as sound of the two i agree with you (SD on strings, LD on voice and i would blend the two on nylon string as the sound of the LD has more girth, but not as articulate as the SD). great job! :thumb:
$11.95 for the LD diaphram is great!
regards,
grant

Thanks, guys.

It still has a ways to go, but overall it feels to be on the right track.

I think I may incorporate a pad and high pass filter into a circuit. This mic seems like it could really use it.

or maybe - dual diaphragm... multi pattern... hmm.

Now - does anyone have any knowledge about refinishing/polishing brass?

Great stuff.

Ive been wanting to diy mics for some time now, but the capsule aspect of things always stopped me.

Hmm, i wonder if one can get a hold of that capsule in EU?

you could try contacting Brad Confer or Mark Strong at JLIelectronics.
www.jlielectronics.com

They could maybe tell you if A - they'd ship to Europe for a reasonable amount, or B - if Transsound has a European rep.

[email protected] (Brad's email)

I haven't tried different Fets or any other circuit changes in this LD mic yet.
Right now, I'm concentrating on the mechanics of the capsule mount. The handling noise rumble is, imo, currently way too excessive - so I'm hoping to come up with better suspension rubber than it currently has. I think a low cut filter is also going to be a really helpful for rumble. I'm thinking of something stepped - start with sub 20hz (17 seems a pop number) and then maybe with a 30hz cut - for proximty, if so desired. (I have to think about it and am open to all thoughts and opinions)

In terms of circuit tweaks - I applied some of the changes I made in this mic to a Tsb165 mic I built a couple days ago, and noticed improvements in the tsb165 circuit!

The changes - I dropped the 12v zener 'power' diode to 10v, and in the amplification area raised the typically 100k resistors (the ones at the transistors) to 150k.

What is interesting is that the mic is hotter now than before - with consequently lower noise floor. I'm going to try changing a couple older tsb165 mics over to this config to A. see if it was coincidental and B. if not - well - it would be a marked improvement.

I have been meaning to pose this to the group to see if anyone had an idea of why less voltage would result in a hotter mic?

Back