Mic pre module thing

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kit

Just an idea.

www.munchenmotor.se/mickesbilder/mikrofonmodul.jpg

Might work, might be an oscillating nightmare.

Matching is a must. :roll:

Havent gotten around to building it yet, so no part values.

Could be a cool mic pre "module" built in a small DOA box ala API.

8 pins.

Wavebourn, go easy on the followers, will ya? :razz: :thumb:

[quote author="Kit"]Just an idea.

www.munchenmotor.se/mickesbilder/mikrofonmodul.jpg

Might work, might be an oscillating nightmare.

Matching is a must. :roll:

Havent gotten around to building it yet, so no part values.

Could be a cool mic pre "module" built in a small DOA box ala API.

8 pins.

Wavebourn, go easy on the followers, will ya? :razz: :thumb:[/quote]

Doesn't look like stabilization should be unusually difficult as drawn. With such topologies you will sometimes see RCs inserted between the internal long tail PNP pair either from base to base or collector to collector. I would caution about compensation caps as drawn imbalancing CMRR if not well matched.

Output signal swing will not be great but some gain in a following diff to SE convertor will improve both swing and drive capability.

One concern is getting enough GBW for good performance with the high closed loop gains required in a mic pre.

Have fun.

JR

John and Wavebourn, thanks for your replys.

RCs inserted between the internal long tail PNP pair either from base to base or collector to collector

Yes, that is a smarter and better solution. Thanks.

Output signal swing will not be great but some gain in a following diff to SE convertor will improve both swing and drive capability.

The idea was for this to be a "stand alone, diff in diff out module" for mic pre duty. Run it on +48V. Beefy BDXXX devices for the followers.
Couple with caps of you choice, gain set switch/pot and youre done.

There is a possibility to "CCS" the pnp collector load´s for larger open loop gain.

If one wants to go the discrete BJT into opamp route, theres is really no need for the followers, at all.

2 stages and emitter follower only, it is not an oscillation
nightmare.

Even the simplest circuits have an odd way of swinging by itself on my bench.......... :razz: :oops:

[quote author="Kit"]John and Wavebourn, thanks for your replys.

RCs inserted between the internal long tail PNP pair either from base to base or collector to collector

Yes, that is a smarter and better solution. Thanks.

The idea was for this to be a "stand alone, diff in diff out module" for mic pre duty. Run it on +48V. Beefy BDXXX devices for the followers.
Couple with caps of you choice, gain set switch/pot and youre done.

There is a possibility to "CCS" the pnp collector load´s for larger open loop gain.

If one wants to go the discrete BJT into opamp route, theres is really no need for the followers, at all.

2 stages and emitter follower only, it is not an oscillation
nightmare.

Even the simplest circuits have an odd way of swinging by itself on my bench.......... :razz: :oops:[/quote]

To drive the outside world you will need more substantial output circuitry and/or pretty heavy class A current.

Upon reflection, my caution about inadequate GBW may be wrong. This topology will get a boost in open loop gain from the emitter connected gain resistor just like the Cohen, Transamp, et al topologies. So the G may be OK, BW will depend on device selection and current density.

Some very low noise devices have limited breakdown voltages so you may need to cascode devices if a problem.

This topology may be pretty similar to what's inside the sundry mic preamp chips being sold so perhaps a quick review of their internal schematics might reveal some compensation or other useful tricks.

JR

and/or pretty heavy class A current.

Oh yes sir.

It wont be pretty and cheap, thats for sure.

Having said that, i think most stand alone mic pres in the average amature studio will never see 600 ohms these days.

Straight into a relativly high Z interface input is a more likely scenario.

[quote author="Kit"]
Straight into a relativly high Z interface input is a more likely scenario.[/quote]

Do you mean 150 picoFarad per each meter? :cool:

Now , didnt i tell you to go easy on the followers? :razz:

Ok, fine.......5532 output stage for better drive.

www.munchenmotor.se/mickesbilder/blah.jpg

(why cant i post pictures in the post, the link seems to work? :? )

{EDIT- you need the http:// in the link. The board's auto-link feature assumes it; the IMG feature does not. -PRR}
blah.jpg

Do you mean you like symmetrical distortions from 5532 better than asymmetrical from the single follower? :grin:

{EDIT- you need the http:// in the link. The board's auto-link feature assumes it; the IMG feature does not. -PRR}

Ah, I see. Thanks.

BTW, good to see a sign of life from you, PRR. :thumb:

Do you mean you like symmetrical distortions from 5532 better than asymmetrical from the single follower?

It depends if im recording artsy fartsy violin, or a rocker on drugs.

[quote author="Kit"]

Do you mean you like symmetrical distortions from 5532 better than asymmetrical from the single follower?

It depends if im recording artsy fartsy violin, or a rocker on drugs.[/quote]

I am with you. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back