Has anyone tried the Altran transformers (for Neve etc.) ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyraf

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
From a thread on the tapeop board, it seems that Altran are (re-) making inexpensive Neve output Ion - 1066-style:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=40860

http://www.altrancorp.com/

Anyone with experiences with this company?

Jakob E.

i'm also curious about their mic input transformer... pin spacing appears standard jensen/cinemag style. 150:10k like an api 2622 or similar. very interesting... wonder if anyones used these?

i have had some transformers made by altran for various private products. they are good at following detailed instructions, and are very willing to work with you to make exactly what you need. they are not interested in making one-offs, however; you need to be making commercial quantities of your designs. they do not have extensive audio testing facilities, so you need know exactly what you want and be prepared to evaluate the transformers yourself.

audio transformers are not their core business. i was told, for example, that they sell almost US$1M in power toroids a year. but they are interested in expanding their audio transformer production.

as far as their audio products, you may be familiar with their 1:1 49% nickel bifilar output transformers and 1+1:8 "jensen-style" mic input transformers. both are used by hamptone in their jfet preamp. the same input is used by OSA in their MP-1A. they make another input that is used by universal audio in their solo mic preamp line. and i have had them make the reproduction utc o-12 that is used as the input transformer in the purple audio mc77.

the lo1166 type output was a request made by wade of chandler. i have seen a sample, and it is a well made transformer, but not an exact reproduction of a lo1166. the default model is only 200 to 600 ohms, but they could wind other ratios, and/or use an ungapped core. after altran started manufacturing them for chandler, several other companies began using them. altran now manufactures that unit in batches of 1000, so the price point is relatively low.

they are quite busy; i wouldn't recommend contacting them with offers to buy small quantities. i believe they would sell the C-4000 lo1166 style output transformer to anyone who was willing to make a large enough order. if anyone is interested in their products, i would consider ordering batches of them for re-sale if there is enough interest in any one design.

ed

It's a pretty nice looking transformer and has a bit o' heft to it. Now to find a nice, simple circuit I can cobble together to test it. It's DC gapped and has a 200 ohm input/600 ohm output impedance. My search for a suitable circuit is on.

Cheers,
--
Don

[quote author="edanderson"]they are quite busy; i wouldn't recommend contacting them with offers to buy small quantities. i believe they would sell the C-4000 lo1166 style output transformer to anyone who was willing to make a large enough order. if anyone is interested in their products, i would consider ordering batches of them for re-sale if there is enough interest in any one design.
ed[/quote]

From the other thread:

Steve at Altran quoted me the following prices (they have a minimum order of 25):

25 $22.46
50 $19.81
100 $18.95
250 $16.49

Cheers,
--
Don

I recently reviewed the UA solo preamps. They're pretty nice. Both use the same Altran input transformer, which is custom made for UA, I believe. The transistor Solo pre sounds pretty transparent, so the transformer must be transparent, too.

I've got a couple of those C4000's (200in/600out) on the way and I was thinking about trying them in the PM1000 (Don might be thinking the same?), which as we know had the Tamura 600:600 originally. So I'm not really a transformer guy, ok... what effect will that have on the output signal? Hotter? Would it be better to turn it around instead? Any recommendations?

thanks, dd

[quote author="digitaldrummer"]I've got a couple of those C4000's (200in/600out) on the way and I was thinking about trying them in the PM1000 (Don might be thinking the same?), which as we know had the Tamura 600:600 originally. So I'm not really a transformer guy, ok... what effect will that have on the output signal? Hotter? Would it be better to turn it around instead? Any recommendations?
thanks, dd[/quote]

Did you try these in your PM1000? Mine are still sitting on the bench as I've been too busy to put a circuit together.

Cheers,
--
Don

Latest posts

Back