corrosion on tube mic body how to remedy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

versuviusx

hi i was wondering if there is something i can clean my tube mic with to prevent corrosion or to stop it if there is any. i'm looking for something ican use to clean tube mics with. any solutions?

if it is just the body, and the body is metal, then I would think any sort of metal polish and corosion would work. Obviously remove the body from the mic first....

Posts about stuff like this--or magnifying lamps, or which Shure mixer to buy--really belong in the Lab, or even the Brewery. This forum is for discussion of circuits and theory.

if the surface has any finish metal polish can do possibly worse (when you polish off more of the finish)

i never tried this on music parts ... but automatic transmission fluid also takes away some rust. its just oil, so it destroys nothing. but .... no warranty ;)

depends on what kind of metal it is.

to bring it back to original finish start with some high grit sandpaper (2000+), metal polish it to desired lustre, but if you dont use gloves and finish it right after it will start to oxidize again.

hit it with a clear coat, or epoxy, that will stop OXIDATION, which is what your talking about. unless its steel and rusting or has acid on it its not corroding.

t

Well i was a machinist for 15 years got a pic? Aluminum? Black Anodized? Clear anodized? You can probably make it look like brand new depending on those things. I'll check back.

Cheers

Most microphone bodies are made of brass, often with nickel plating. These should not require anything other than cleaning with a mild detergant and water. I use non-ammoniated window cleaner. Brass tarnishes (oxidizes, can be cleaned with brass polish) if exposed, nickel is relatively stable in air even at high humidities.

Back