Pics of 1st build -- Pultec MB-1

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davoux

Like I said in my post earlier today, I would provide pics if I could figure it out. I hope it works!! This is my 1st build. It's 2 channels of the Pultec MB-1 tube preamp with an added phantom power. A lot of the design comes from Jon Fleig. I did change some things though. I set it up more like a guitar amp with a power switch to control the heater and seperate switches to control the B+ to each channel. The only thing that keeps it from being tried out is that the Hammond 271X transformer is putting out 650V instead of the 560V it should. I'll get the replacement and it looks like it should work, all other voltages seem to fall in line.

Recognize this is my 1st build so don't be overly critical. I so admire the work I see some of you do where the wiring is SO neat and clean. I couldn't figure out how to do that and still make it easy to lift a card if I needed to work on it. I don't know what to do to the face. I really don't want to spend a lot of money taking it out to be silkscreened or what ever. I would be happy to hear suggestions!

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t203/davoux/pultec1.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t203/davoux/pultec3.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t203/davoux/pultec2.jpg

I certainly can't complain about the organization of your wiring. It's a hell of a lot neater than the first guitar amp I built 10 years ago.

There are a couple of things that may be safety issues:

1.The use of wire nuts and what appears to be electrical tape is a little worrisome to me. IME wire nuts don’t stay put on stranded wire very well. Consider what would happen if one fell off. The adhesive on electrical tape may eventually dry up causing the tape to come unraveled. Solder and heatshrink tubing are your friends.

2. There are a couple of board standoffs that may be a little close to exposed component leads. If the leads get bent down or if a nut comes loose it may short.

3. Is that a ball of aluminum foil on the voltage regulator?

Forgive me for being paranoid, but mains and high voltage tube circuits are not to be trifled with. You can never be too careful.

Keep up the good work!

Your first you say? Excuse me...... :cool: I think I'm gonna post some rough crap around here just to lower the general standard.

Some cable ties might make you feel better if you want to tidy your wiring. Your local electronics supply place might have the cable clips with stick on pads on the bottom ....You can get heat sinks out of dead computer power supplies. Re the face .... there are some cool posts in here about using iron on materials ..... or you could go a custom router job in plastic "truffolite"..... others might have better suggestions ..... Maybe check with your local trophy place. They often do engraving of small jobs.

I'm impressed.....

Back