What were those MXL mics that people liked to modify?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svart

I don't remember what they were, I think they were 603 something. Anything special you guys(girls) like to do to them besides the usual upgrades? I bought some cheapie mics the other day at a store opening. MXL990 and 991. they aren't half bad to tell the truth. they would suck for vocals but sound great on drums. decent build quality too.

mxl2001 is the main one. I believe there is a mod for the 603 as well.

ju

shit, The 603's are SDC and I'm looking for LDC. should i just buy another SP C1 and call it a day or does someone have an underdog that i can get hands on and frankenstein it?

David Royer's mod kit for the MXL2001 or ADK A-51.

http://www.mojaveaudio.com/products.html

He also has a "from scratch" kit to make a similar mic.

EDIT: You know, now that I think of it, I wonder if Mr. Royer would be willing to sell just microphone bodies? Then we'd have a source for our G7 projects that are cropping up...

All of them! :green:

The published ones (Dorsey and Royer mods) were made using a MXL2001 or similar mic (Scott list them in the Recording mag article), but just about any MXL or other sub $500 Chinese mic can be improved.

Gus is the authority here. That fellow has modified more mics than there are fish in the ocean!

thanks guys, I didn't want to just buy mics blindly and hope for a decent outcome. Anybody tried modding the CAD condensers?

I just sent Zebra some pictures of a fet circuit in a MXLV67. very simple and clean uses a 2n3819 and a 1636 10:1. It based on the KM84 circuit but with less parts. The "problems" are I only found 4 fets that bias right in the first 100 I tested and I had to make a 10pf cap from wire wrap wire because I could not find a polystryene. I built a part of the circuit to test the drain and source voltages.

I think I paid $60.00 for 1,000 fets.

This might be a good first microphone project if a PCB was designed. Maybe I will talk to Tim about ideas for a PCB design. With the MXL V67 you don't need to taper the PCB.

I have a v67 sitting around that I don't use much ( my senn 421 always seems to sound better on my voice)...I'd be interested in a pcb...

[quote author="Gus"]Tim should we tell them about the MXL2003 mod?[/quote]Oh, why not! :green:

BTW, I'll be glad to lay out a board.

[quote author="Gus"]I just sent Zebra some pictures of a fet circuit in a MXLV67. [/quote]

I just posted the pix in another thread :oops:

You can see them here

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=2570#2570

Tim has a nice redrawn schematic of the fet microphone circuit. It does seem to sound its best with 3.9K source resistor. When its posted note the clever use of feedback by some designer at neumann.

It is realy just a simpler circuit than the KM 84 circuit.

Things to think about. A 2n3918 has a gain of about 60 and is a fet. A openloop fet gain stage is not linear like a triode connected ef86. The 10pf is a feedback cap that works with the capsule cap to set the stages gain. Clever Neumann designers! The overall gain is the open loop gain in parallel with the gain set by the feedback.

The 1636 transformer does not seem to have a "sound".

A must read, go to neumann.com in the infopool there is a great PDF book called microphones read it.

[quote author="Gus"]Tim has a nice redrawn schematic of the fet microphone circuit...[/quote]Here it is:

GusFETmic.jpg

i was looking at the mxl2003, is that a *better* mic than the mxl2001? I have heard neither of these and know nothing about them.. yet.

The mod to the 2003 are parts upgrades. I like the 3 micron 797 audio capsules I have heard. Stock I don't like the 2003.

I think Tim is working on the pictures.

I bought a 2003 to use the capsule in the c800g clone build cardiod only. The circuit looked good so I upgraded some parts. Modded IMO it sounds good on female voices.

[quote author="Gus"]...I think Tim is working on the pictures.[/quote]
Yep, but It might take a day or two.

Modded IMO it sounds good on female voices.
Especially our wives, heh heh!

Back