Sound examples of your G7 microphone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindell

For y´all that have built a G7 mic , do you have any recordings done with it you can share ? (post a link maybe)
Also please desribe what capsule, tubes and trannies you´ve used.
I´m thinking of having a couple built and are very interested in hearing the mic in action first....

Best,
Lindell :musique:

Hi Lindell,

Here is a snippet of a tune. The vocal was done with my G7 - Peluso C-12 type capsule, NOS Telefunken EF-86, Lundahl transformer. The singer's voice was very difficult to capture and he has some obvious vocal problems, but I thought the timbre of his voice came across beautifully. The only other mic that worked on him was a Gefell UM900 and the G7 was better. We tried a 251, a U47, U87, 414 and several other mics and this was the best.

Good luck

:thumb:

Nope, no Auto-Tune. I used it on everythng else on the album, but this tune was an afterthought and the temporary authorization had expired. I said he had a hard voice to record....

It does that wierd sliding sound that is characteristic of autotune on the word haven't in the first line of singing...that's the only place it sounds like autotune, but it sounds more like the singer hunting for the right note himself.

Either way, the mic sounds fantastic. Very crisp and airy without a hint of sibilance (did you de-ess? with what?)...a prefect example of what a good vocal mic should sound like.

What preamp did you use? Hopefully it was DIY too!

Shane

Hey mic sounds great! sounds like an interesting record. What did your mic cost to build. does yours have a radiator?
Peter

[quote author="Category 5"]It does that wierd sliding sound that is characteristic of autotune on the word haven't in the first line of singing...that's the only place it sounds like autotune, but it sounds more like the singer hunting for the right note himself.

Either way, the mic sounds fantastic. Very crisp and airy without a hint of sibilance (did you de-ess? with what?)...a prefect example of what a good vocal mic should sound like.

What preamp did you use? Hopefully it was DIY too!

Shane[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words. I know that funny-sounding gliss is there, but that's him. I don't remember if I de-essed, I might have, but that airiness without sibilance is how the mic actually sounds. Give all the credit to Jakob E. and the quality of his design. I followed the directions carefully and just hoped it would work period, I was shocked when it actually sounded good. I was using a Daking preamp flat and an 1176, 1:4, barely touching the vocal. The singer has an unusual voice that sounded truly ugly on anything but this mic and the Gefell. The piano player was the real nightmare. He played so softly he made a 7-foot Steinway sound like a dinky upright.

Peter, I indulged in a very expensive NOS Telefunken EF-86 from a reputable dealer who tested it and listened to it. Other than that I think it was about $300.00-400.00. You mean a radiator like on a sony mic? No, it doesn't even feel warm after several hours of use. It does take an hour or so to warm up and stabilize, though.

Build some mics - it's fun.

:thumb: :thumb:

Hi Seth,
It sounds great. A few thoughts though..... It sounds a bit upper midrange´ish and loads of attack. That could be due to the Daking pre which have that kind of character. And the singer standing very close to the mic.
I´d like to hear a more natural highend (top frequencies). Maybe mod to some more expensive capacitors??? (Solen, Black Gate, M-cap, Panasonic????)
http://www.studiomaudio.com/blackgate.html
http://www.thlaudio.com/solncitm.htm
http://www.thlaudio.com/McapitmE.htm

Do you have more recordings, maybe without any eq and compression you can show us ?

Best,
Lindell

[quote author="Lindell"]Hi Seth,
It sounds great. A few thoughts though..... It sounds a bit upper midrange´ish and loads of attack. That could be due to the Daking pre which have that kind of character. And the singer standing very close to the mic.
I´d like to hear a more natural highend (top frequencies). Maybe mod to some more expensive capacitors??? (Solen, Black Gate, M-cap, Panasonic????)
Best,
Lindell[/quote]

Hi Lindell,

I know this is hard to imagine, but that recording is a very natural and open reproduction of his voice. He was about six inches from the mic. That's why it was so difficult to record him well. This guy through a U47 was ugly. What you're hearing as coloration in the top end is his natural sound. I used Wima and Panasonic polypropylenes throughout and Panasonic lytics. I don't think I have anything else here I could solo, most everything else is on other people's masters. When you DIY you can't really predict exactly what you're going to get, that's part of the fun I think.

:thumb:

Lindell

If you build a DIY microphone the capsule/grill has alot to do with the sound. Different shapes and mesh size (holes pre inch and %open space) of the grill and layers of mesh act like a EQ that is superimosed on the capsule curve. The electronics are important good electros of many brands should be fine in the G7 because of the place they are in the circuit(they have a voltage across them to keep the oxide layer in good shape).

With good tube microphones almost everything counts but with good electronics designs the grill capsule sets most of the sound IMO.

Look at neumann U67,87,103,47,49 grills the 47 and 49 have the same type capsule. Look at an ELA m251 grill and a c12 and an older 414 same capsule.

This is the fun of DIY you can try different things and learn alot!

Seth,
On a second and third and fourth listen, :grin: It sounds extremely close and in yer face, almost like he´s inside the speaker!! Very nice indeed.
What I mean with the mid-high freq´s is prolly just personal flava. As Gus said, it could be the grill.... I know it takes alot of time to tweak the mic, electronics and grill to personal taste. But thats a part of the game and is just fun!

I´m still hoping to hear more stuff tracked with the G7..... :thumb:

Lindell,

There are one important capacitor in a capacitor microphone that influence the timbre especially in the mid and treble character much more than all other capacitors, and this is the capacitor capsule itself.

If you compare capsules from Neumann and AKG in same circuit, they sounds very different, and all chines imitation of these capsules sounds very very different even from same manufacturing batch.

There are a other important thing that influence the timbre, this is the capsule match to the grid on a tube or gate on a FET transistor and also how the cables from the capsule are arange.

I think in this case it is very hard to hear different in timbre and character if you change between different capacitor brands.

--Bo

Back