Portable Mic/Pre for field recording

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justintec

Hello everyone,

This is my first design submission, so please be gentle!

I'm working on designing a portable microphone plus preamp for field recording with an mp3 player (line in only). The basic idea is (attempt to) surpass common electret mic preamp quality with better electronics while still maintaining complete portability. Also, I'm aiming to make a very affordable design with a BOM of $50 or less.

The design uses 2 electret capsules to allow stereo recording and provides 2 1/4" balanced outputs (via THAT 1646 line drivers) or 1/8" stereo line level output (common on many mp3/minidisc recorders)

Any suggestions, comments, or criticism is welcome.

http://www.techix.com/proaudio/portable_preamp.jpg

Thanks,

Justin

Just a few thoughts after a quick look:
* the 18 V line from the DC-DC converter is relatively noisy. You'll inject this noise through R5 and R7 directly into the mic signal which is for sure not a good idea. I think I'd use a 12 V linear regulator to power the mic in addition to a well sized RC filter but perhaps you can get away just with the RC filter.
* R4/R6 can be much larger (say 1M) and C5/C6 smaller (just for economy, say 100 nF)
* I miss some input RFI protection. Add a 470 pF C0G/NP0 to ground at the input.
* for improved stability, R1 and R8 should have a small capacitor in parallel with them. Try a 33 pF C0G/NP0.
* as shown, R3 and R10 don't do anything but fixing the gain to about 10 dB. For variable gain, you need to reference the wiper to ground.
* does the low battery indicator really work? Looks to me as if the comparator output will be positive in any case.
* the opamps will have substantial output offset at highest gain. To reduce that you'll need a big capacitor (say 470 uF) in series with R3 and R10.
* I'd take the 1/8" output directly from the OPA2134 and not from the balanced line driver.

Samuel

What Samuel said. In addition:

* According to the THAT16xx and OPA2134 data sheets, you'll be drawing ~20mA idle current on the +/-18V-lines. This translates to >90mA current draw by the LT1026, and likely higher than normal ripple on those lines. You may have to watch LT1026 dissipation.

* For optimum distortion performance any FET-based op-amp will want to see equal impedance on both inputs. There's a section in the OPA2134 data sheet about this.

* Are the FETs in those WM-61a capsules rated for +18V ?

* Do you plan to perform the Linkwitz mod on the capsules ? This has an impact on the output impedance, too.

If this were my design, I'd split it in two parts: just the mic amplifier (OPA2134) with unbalanced consumer-level 1/8in out, and a separate box to go to balanced pro level out (which may then even be powered by whatever you're routing the jacks into). The OPA2134 has a reasonable amount of headroom for consumer level apps when powered from a 9V battery.

JDB.

[quote author="Samuel Groner"]Just a few thoughts after a quick look:
* the 18 V line from the DC-DC converter is relatively noisy. You'll inject this noise through R5 and R7 directly into the mic signal which is for sure not a good idea. I think I'd use a 12 V linear regulator to power the mic in addition to a well sized RC filter but perhaps you can get away just with the RC filter.
[/quote]

Yeah, thats a good point. Any disadvantage to biasing the capsule straight off the 9V battery? The capsule's FET is rated 2V-10V; perhaps I should use a voltage divider to bias it at around 4V?

[quote author="Samuel Groner"]
* R4/R6 can be much larger (say 1M) and C5/C6 smaller (just for economy, say 100 nF)
[/quote]

Excellent suggestion, I'll make those modifications.

* I miss some input RFI protection. Add a 470 pF C0G/NP0 to ground at the input.
[/quote]

Noted; I'll add that as well.

* for improved stability, R1 and R8 should have a small capacitor in parallel with them. Try a 33 pF C0G/NP0.
[/quote]

This is to prevent high frequency oscillation, right? I suppose its not a bad idea to add.

* as shown, R3 and R10 don't do anything but fixing the gain to about 10 dB. For variable gain, you need to reference the wiper to ground.
[/quote]

Ahh, yes. Just a drawing error, thats what i intended.

* does the low battery indicator really work? Looks to me as if the comparator output will be positive in any case.
[/quote]

I believe it should work, but I haven't built it yet. Let me walk you through my logic and point out if I say something that doesn't seem correct:

The Linear LTC1440 has an internal voltage reference of 1.182V. When the battery is fresh, the voltage on pin 3 is: 9V(910/(4700+910)) = 1.46V

This is above the 1.182 threshold so the output pin is high, lighting the good battery LED.

To calculate the point at which the output pin goes low:

x(910/(4700+910)) = 1.18V, solve for x. x = 7.28V

The low battery LED turns on when battery voltage is approx. 7.28V

* the opamps will have substantial output offset at highest gain. To reduce that you'll need a big capacitor (say 470 uF) in series with R3 and R10.
* I'd take the 1/8" output directly from the OPA2134 and not from the balanced line driver.

Samuel
[/quote]

This capacitor will reduce the DC gain to about 1, correct? Does this need to be a high quality cap?

I'm thinking about dropping the balanced outs alltogether given the current requirements.

Any disadvantage to biasing the capsule straight off the 9 V battery?
Well, the voltage and hence perhaps the sensitivity of the capsule might vary with battery age. In addition to this, batteries can become noisy as well at the end of their life so perhaps you need an RC filter nonetheless.

This is to prevent high frequency oscillation, right?
Usually the opamp will not become unstable without, but it's good design practice to reduce bandwidth to what you really need.

The Linear LTC1440 has an internal voltage reference of 1.182V.
But the negative opamp input is referred to ground and not the internal voltage reference.

This capacitor will reduce the DC gain to about 1, correct? Does this need to be a high quality cap?
2x yes, but with 470 uF you can't use anything else than electrolytic.

For optimum distortion performance any FET-based op-amp will want to see equal impedance on both inputs.
Basically yes but that's not usually a problem at high closed loop gains, right? Noise performance might not be happy either (not sure how critical that is with those capsules though) and it looks difficult to implement.

Another thing: I don't see any local bypass capacitors--add a 100 nF between the supply rails for every amplifier.

Samuel

[quote author="justintec"]
[/quote]
Try to use this instead of linear regullator. Kudelski uses it
everywhere.
(Or use some regulators which is this schemo integrated - new desing
and hard to find)
http://radio.feld.cvut.cz/~vlk/linreg.gif
Use Zener what output voltage you wont minus 0.7V

xvlk

[quote author="xvlk"][quote author="justintec"]
[/quote]
Try to use this instead of linear regullator. Kudelski uses it
everywhere.
(Or use some regulators which is this schemo integrated - new desing
and hard to find)
http://radio.feld.cvut.cz/~vlk/linreg.gif
Use Zener what output voltage you wont minus 0.7V

[/quote]

Cool! Very cool!

But output cap needs to be good to prevent oscillations. Also, upper transistor may be easily damaged providing full unregulated voltage on output that damages lower transistor and/or Zener...

[quote author="Wavebourn"]

But output cap needs to be good to prevent oscillations. Also, upper transistor may be easily damaged providing full unregulated voltage on output that damages lower transistor and/or Zener...[/quote]

Good point.

1k in series with the lower Q base doesn't compromise performance too much, and protects to some extent.

Running zeners at that low a current (~650 uA) may not be good for voltage accuracy and noise. Otherwise the circuit does have decent line regulation and very good load regulation.

One more Zener from input to base of output transistor plus resistor in it's emitter to limit max output current.

The capsules don't need nor want 18V. (Internally the FET is about 0.3Vth, so anything over 2V across the capsule is about pointless.) Take the 9V supply to a 1K resistor, 50uFd bypass cap to ground, then the 2K to capsule. You get about 7V across 2K+capsule, which is plenty.

Porta-MP3 gizmos rarely need even 1V signal. Sometimes much less, like 0.2V. If you forego "Pro Audio" interfacing (or use a separate box for pro buffering), it can all live on 9V without the buzzy booster. And the gain required may be "10 or less". Gain of 30 was more than ample for Psonic capsules on children's choir into a consumer cassette deck. A one-Darlington amp was ample, and simple. Gain control is an unbypassed emitter resistor. And battery life is long enough to omit the lo-batt lamp (which just runs a low battery down faster).

[quote author="bcarso"]
Running zeners at that low a current (~650 uA) may not be good for voltage accuracy and noise. [/quote]
It is better to use series LED instead of Zeners.
If someone wants to have current limiting, only resistor
to the base of regulating (PNP) transistor can be added.
xvlk

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I finally had some time this weekend to do some design revisions and update the schematic. Here is the updated version:

http://www.techix.com/portapre_schematic2.jpg

I thought it would be prudent to define some of my design goals here:

1. Build a low-cost, semi-professional portable mic ideal for field recording. 1/8" stereo output is provided to drive mp3 player / minidisc / laptop line inputs.

2. Also have the mic double as a small, compact XY stereo capable of driving professional level balanced line inputs. Applications include using as a stereo room mic during recording sessions or field recording to an E-mu 1616M / laptop rig.

3. Due to the high power drain of running two balanced line drivers plus the amplifiers, power the device using a rechargable battery (NiMH 9V) and include recharging circuitry in the device so that it can be powered/recharged off a 9V DC wall wort.

To implement these design goals, I've added the following:

1. 2 switches, one control mains power, the other enables/disables the line level drivers so that if they are not in use, power consumption is lower.

2. Battery charger circuit. The theory is that ~30 mA of current is delivered via the TIP 31C to the battery until it's voltage reaches ~9.6V, at which time the zener opens up and grounds the gate, stopping the flow of current to the battery.

3. I've implemented the excellent suggestions made by Samuel, jdbakker, and PRR. I'm not still not sure if the way the capsules are biased is the most ideal and noise-free method, so perhaps someone suggest further optimizations. I'd did look at xvlk's suggestions for a linear regulator substitute, but an important part of this design to me is keeping the part count as low as possible (while meeting the rest of the design goals) because I plan to build several of these and want to keep the assembly as simple as possible.

Thanks for all your help, and I look forward to additional comments.

-Justin

The most obvious points:

- how is a 9V wall wart going to charge a 9V NiMH pack ? Yes, I know the nominal voltage is lower, but you'll drop at least 0.7V across the transistor and then some across R15.

- this is not a recommended way to charge NiMH batteries! See this application note from Panasonic for more information.

- the THAT1646 may not like getting an input signal when it's not powered (think on-chip protection diodes).

- for consumer-level output, the OPA2134 needn't be supplied with +/-18V. Going through the charge pump means the total draw will be 50mA instead of 10mA, which will drain that 175mAh NiMH battery in no time.

JDB.

[quote author="jdbakker"]The most obvious points:

- how is a 9V wall wart going to charge a 9V NiMH pack ? Yes, I know the nominal voltage is lower, but you'll drop at least 0.7V across the transistor and then some across R15.

- this is not a recommended way to charge NiMH batteries! See this application note from Panasonic for more information.

- the THAT1646 may not like getting an input signal when it's not powered (think on-chip protection diodes).

- for consumer-level output, the OPA2134 needn't be supplied with +/-18V. Going through the charge pump means the total draw will be 50mA instead of 10mA, which will drain that 175mAh NiMH battery in no time.

JDB.[/quote]

Yes, perhaps a 9.6V or even 12V wall wort would be best for the charger circuit.

Most of the battery charger schematics for NiMH batteries I've looked at use microcontrollers which monitor both battery temperature and output voltage. I'm looking for a completely analog solution, and this is what I've come up with. It charges the battery at about .1C which I've read is ideal for a trickle charge, is it absolutely necessary to charge based off temperature?

Based off the low efficiency of the LT1026 at high current draws, I'm thinking it might not be the best part for the job. Any suggestions on a charge pump chip / inverter that can provide adequate supply voltages for both the OPA2134 and the THAT 1646 while maintaining a decent efficiency, or is that just too much to try for in a portable circuit?

I'd be open to the idea of trying different battery types out it it would improve performance/battery life, perhaps a small form factor 12V Sealed Lead-Acid...

Any suggestions?

Different batteries have different requirements to be charged safe and fast and to live a long life.

Lead acid batteries need constant current until they have a nominal voltage. As soon as a voltage is nominal they are charged. If to continue charging their electrolyte may boil out and plates destroyed.

Lithium batteries need a current up to nominal voltage, after that voltage has to be stabilized, they draw little current, but must stay with this voltage for a long time consuming small current. The last phase is very important, they need to stay connected to a small current source with voltage limit to be charged. If don't limit max voltage they may explode like a firework.

When NiMH batteries are charged their temperature raises up faster and a voltage drops a bit; microcontroller sees this and turns off current, otherwise the battery may be damaged.

NiMh batteries are the hardest to maintain without microcontroller. I personally prefer Lithium batteries. They are easy to charge, but if you have them connected in series each of them has to be charged individually.

[quote author="justintec"]It charges the battery at about .1C which I've read is ideal for a trickle charge, is it absolutely necessary to charge based off temperature?[/quote]
The document I linked to explicitely advises against unterminated trickle charging of NiMH cells.

[quote author="justintec"]Any suggestions on a charge pump chip / inverter that can provide adequate supply voltages for both the OPA2134 and the THAT 1646 while maintaining a decent efficiency, or is that just too much to try for in a portable circuit?[/quote]
Do the math.

The OPA2134 draws 8-10mA (4-5mA per amp), regardless of supply voltage. If you power it with +/-18V, this leads to a dissipation of ~360mW. To generate +/-18V@10mA, the LT1026 needs 9V@50mA, or 450mW. This is 80% efficient, which is not too bad. An ultra-efficient switcher may get 96%, which doesn't buy you much extra time. Like I said, for consumer-level output, the OPA2134 needn't be supplied with +/-18V. If you run it from 9V it will only draw 90mW.

JD "cannae change the laws o' physics" B.

OK, I've done another revision.

http://www.techix.com/proaudio/portapre_schematic3.jpg

Changes include:

1. Abandoning balanced output - For a battery powered design, the THAT 1646 chips draw too much extra current. I think line level unbalanced outputs will be sufficient for the purposes of this mic/pre.

2. Changed battery to a 4.5Ah 6V Sealed Lead Acid Battery.

With dimensions of 4"x2.75"x2", it will fit in the enclosure I'll build. I've also found. I've found an external charger that handles battery charging, 3 stage for SLA (Constant Current, Constant Voltage, Float Voltage)

Battery:http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/GH645UPDATED.PDF

Charger: http://www.powerstream.com/SLA-6V12.htm

I've estimated power draw as follows:

Power draw of OPA2134 - around 6-7 mA per amp, approx 15mA total. This sources from the battery 75 mA, plus another mA or two for the LED and capsule bias. Rounding up to 80 mA, battery life would be in the 4.5/.08 ~ 50-60 hr range.

I have the following questions, if anybody has suggestions/comments for them:

1. PRR suggested to use a 1k/2k voltage divider with a 50uF bypass cap. This should be per channel, correct? Is how I have it drawn functionally adequate?

2. How big of an output resistance is ideal? I've put 100 ohms in, should I go bigger? If so, how much?

Thanks,

Justin

[/url]

> Lead acid batteries need constant current until they have a nominal voltage. As soon as a voltage is nominal they are charged. If to continue charging their electrolyte may boil out and plates destroyed.

It won't boil (100C/212F) with "normal" or even large charging current.

It will bubble. This used to be considered normal. We knew the battery was charged. I think the H2O was breaking down into H and O, making explosive gas; also the water "went away" and had to be replaced from time to time.

Now we have sealed batteries, we can't add water, we can't see if they bubble, and battery makers will NOT advise charging to the point that explosive gasses come out.

Still, I think you can trickle 1A onto a 50A-H car battery all winter no harm. For the smaller 5A-H batteries, maybe 0.1A. This can conveniently be a 15VDC supply and a 22 ohm resistor. When the battery is very dead, 10V, it will get around 0.25A charge, falling to 0.1A at 12.6V and 0.05A at 14V. (And yes, we used to volt-limit car generators at 14.4V, though we did check and add water often.)

AFAIK, Ni-Cad batteries can be charged similarly. Of course if you leave them idle for a month, they go flat; if there is any load on a series-string then an extended deep discharge will cause the weakest cell to internally short.

> keeping the part count as low as possible

You do not need individual R-C networks for the L and R mike capsules. One 1K+47uFd will easily power two capsules, and the crosstalk will be "low enough" unless you put the mikes in different studios and analyze the recordings. Hmmmm... -20dB at 14Hz, -40dB at 140Hz, -60dB at 1.4KHz where it would matter.

There is MUCH to be said for 9V disposable. You would have to get many many cycles out of an exotic-metal battery for its ecological impact to be less than fairly benign carbon-zinc trash. When the rig runs down mid-session, you change the batts in 2 minutes instead of taking a 4-hour re-charge break. When you travel, you don't care about the local wall voltage, you go to the bazaar and buy radio batteries. At home, a 25-pack of 9V batts is fairly low-price, hopefully less per hour than the value of the work you do. And of course two-9V eliminates that kick-up scheme. An LED, 6V Zener, 100 ohm resistor, and push-button is a simple battery check with zero standby loss. You check it before any critical take.

> for consumer-level output, the OPA2134 needn't be supplied with +/-18V.

Even on "Pro" gear (not counting 16-track tape decks built to hard-wire to a console), you never need +4dBm. I have not seen a true 600 ohm input in decades, and any deck with a Rec Level control seems to be happy with -10dBV if you crank the knob.

So the level-set is: crank the recorder to "7" or "10" and leave it there. Crank the preamp for nice meter readings. Now the output of the preamp is 0.3V to 0.6V max, and a real clever 3V-power preamp is ample.

Note that the actual audio power into the recorder is under a tenth of a milliWatt, more like 0.036mW. If a 100W speaker-amp draws 200W of raw juice, why is our 0.036mW load requiring 360mW of power? Over-engineering is fine when power is very cheap, as when you can't buy a wall-wart smaller than 2W. In battery operation, such a difference between raw power input and audio power output suggests a sharper pencil.

> How big of an output resistance is ideal?

What are you driving?

If you have a mile of telephone line with true 600 ohm load, that's one thing. 150,000pFd is a heavy load. You want a low-Z output to drive it without treble loss; OTOH the op-amp will be hurting bad with 0.15uFd load and be unstable unless you have enough isolation that the op-amp hardly notices the load. This gets tough. Fortunately, this is rare.

Oh, and I remember when you shorted a chip-amp (shorts happen), you hadda bike out to the electronics shop and buy another $12 chip. A resistor between the chip and the more likely short-points reduces disasters. I guess this is less relevant since the 741 appeared.

I drive 100-foot runs to few-K loads with 470 ohm series resistors. I may lose a dB midband and at 300 feet another dB at the top of the band. Not a problem in live recording. There's several-dB "errors" between sound-check and show, between one mike location and another, we fix it in the mix.

An advantage of 470 ohms is that a beefy chip-amp working around -10dBV can feed multiple recorders, be shorted on two or three 470-isolated outputs, and still put normal not-dirted signal on any un-shorted output. I have fed 7 recorders at once. So far I've had one-short situation twice (once a cable-pinch, once a misconnected output back-fed the splitter), but there's a sub-rule of Murphy's Law which suggests that up to a third of your outputs may get shorted on a bad day.

Does anyone happen to have the final schematic on this?  Long shot I know but I am wondering.

Thanks,

James

Latest posts

Back