Oktava tube mic and Russian tube "6G1P"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

synthi

Hi People!

I just got an oktava Tube microphone MKL-319. Well, I`m still waiting for it to arrive but I know it have a russian tube model 6G1P.

Do you know what`s the universal equivalent for this tube?
Also, Does anyone have experiences with oktava tube mics?

Thanks!

Synthi

Look here for some oktava info

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=509

What model is the microphone?

http://oktava.tula.net/mics/mkl319.htm

shows a phantom supply for a fet microphone Ithink(I can't read russian but the specs look like that to me)

[quote author="Gus"]

shows a phantom supply for a fet microphone Ithink(I can't read russian but the specs look like that to me)[/quote]

Nah Gus, it's al'right tube.

Gus,
the photo showed at the link for the MKL-319 is a MK-319 fet condenser, so you was right looking at the picture :)

Thanks guys.

[quote author="synthi"]I know it have a russian tube model 6G1P.[/quote]

Are you sure you got the right tube number there? I can't find it anywhere... I've heard of 6N1P tubes, in fact I have a couple (JJ's I think... I'd have to check.)

Anyone, good luck!

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="alk509"][quote author="synthi"]I know it have a russian tube model 6G1P.[/quote]

Are you sure you got the right tube number there? I can't find it anywhere... I've heard of 6N1P tubes, in fact I have a couple (JJ's I think... I'd have to check.)

Anyone, good luck!

Peace,
Al.[/quote]

6N1P is a Russian frame grid tube, somewhat similar to ECC88.

I know it have a russian tube model 6G1P.

Is it 6Ж1П? Then it is like EF95.

There are two different circuits for the Oktava MKL2500 tube mic. mine is the wacky cathode connected transformer circuit you see in the schematic in that other thread. A friend has one with different caps values and we think that is a standard plate follower circuit.

The tube in mine is something like 6Z1P-EB, but the Z is actually a cyrilic letter that looks like an X with a line through it. Frank has the data sheet

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/112/6/6Z1PEV.pdf

I replaced all the caps in mine with better ELNA ones (the stock oktava ones are crap), put proper XLR connector in the supply and used some decent cable. Together the changes gave an improvement to my ears. I haven't actually done any serious recording with the mic. It's sort of hanging around waiting for the right moment.

Hope that helps
Stewart

[quote author="zebra50"]
The tube in mine is something like 6Z1P-EB, but the Z is actually a cyrilic letter that looks like an X with a line through it. [/quote]

Yes, it is "Ж". Usually, when I type in Russian I use Latin letters (very awkward) and type it as "ZH". Some folks use "J". It's pronounced like "s" in "u(s)ually".

mine is the wacky cathode connected transformer circuit you see in the schematic in that other thread. A friend has one with different caps values and we think that is a standard plate follower circuit.

Hey Stewart,

Did not you see in the end of operational manual:
"Schematics is subject to change without notice." :green:

Russians use it all the time... depending on parts availability, or mood they are in, or.... who knows.

Marik,

All the letters show as ? anyway so..... dunno!

Manual? I didn't get one. Still, it would be good to know which sounded best with that capsule.

I mighte get a trip to kiev (KIHB!) next year - cool,

[quote author="synthi"] russian tube model 6G1P.
[/quote]
In an old russian book (KRIZE) I looked up
6G7 - triod mi 70, Ri 60 000 , Cinp 5 pF, Cout 4 pF, Co 80 pF.
via numbering I think,
In my tube "collection" (I am rather tube user than collector) I have
6G2.
Here is scan of it.
(you must copy link to other browser)
http://mujweb.cz/www/xvlkxvlk/lampa.jpg

6G1P may be rather older and rare triode.

xvlk

They seem to use "c" in the Russian docs but "k" in the english docs model numbers. In english:

http://oktava.tula.net/eng/mkl319_e.htm

This does look different from the russian specs at
http://oktava.tula.net/mics/mkl319.htm

But the russian page clearly shows a dedicated power supply eating "220/110 В, 50 Гц" (gotta be 220/110V 50Hz).

[quote author="PRR"]They seem to use "c" in the Russian docs but "k" in the english docs model numbers. [/quote]

On the other hand, to me it would make much more sense the other way around, as "C" stands for English condenser, and "K" for Russian kondensatrorniy.

They often use it interchangably--the same with MC012--MK012, which is the same mic.

> what's the universal equivalent for this tube?

There probably isn't one. For decades, the USSR did not trade with the US and Euro tube markets. They invented their own types and pin-outs.

It is generally a RF Pentode. Many common tubes are roughly similar: I would start with the venerable 6AU6 and compare curves. But the 6zh1p has lower heater current than the old standby wall-power radio tubes, so it may take some digging to find a high-Gm low-heater tube. And then you may have to switch all the pins around.

But why worry? Low-power tubes usually run for decades. I have 12AU7 and 6AL5 in a VTVM that has run 24/7 for around 30 years. It still balances-up smack in the middle of the zero-pot range. A mike-amp tube will probably live a long time too.

--------------------------------------------

> They often use it interchangably

I was starting to suspect that, when a "C" mike came up on a "K" URL.

> more sense the other way around, as "C" stands for English condenser, and "K" for Russian kondensatrorniy.

And of course they are not really writing in english. They have a Russian market, and they have an "everybody else" market. A lot of that "everybody else" market is USA, Canada, England, and Australia, who all use some kind of english. So much so, that in Japan, home radios are labeled in Japanese but Hi-Fi is labeled in english. I bet the same is true in many asian markets: key words are in english. Germany, France, and other european markets have their own languages (and Germans would use "K"), but half the words we use in technical jargon come from Latin or Greek, so they look the same in English, German, French etc except spelled funny. And everybody has a 13-language user manual that will quickly translate any english jargon into any other popular language. I got a user-guide with a video card, and now I can write "IMPORTANT!" or "free hard disk drive space" in Korean or Thai or Arabic.

Yeah, but lots of VTVMs had those. It was a standard thing.

If memory serves me right, I think the reason for the switch was a series resistor that helped to isolate the circuit-under-test from probe wire capacitance when in "volts" mode. I have a VTVM from another manufacturer that goes so far as to put a little cathode follower right IN the probe!

One of my Heaths came with the nice shiny RF detector probe as well. Good times...

[quote author="PRR"]...They have a Russian market, and they have an "everybody else" market...[/quote]

Interesting thing, though. Since communist times it's been a practice in Russia to make export models of much better quality. For example, export version of "Lada" cars would cost much more than "regular" one. The same with everything else--clothing, equipment, etc. I still remember times when we were looking for things with "magic" logo in English--"Made in USSR".
I am not sure what's going on now--haven't been there for almost 15 years.

Latest posts

Back