where can i get my ribbon mic re ribboned?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

versuviusx

hi
i found out today that i need a new ribbon for my reslo ribbon mic. it also needs a sowter transformer. the guy who told me this told me it would cost 150 for the new ribbon and 75 for a new transformer. but he told me that when it was all said and done that it would still be 6 db less sensitive than a royer R121. so far i have already spent 150 + 175 on this mic. with the new ribbon and transformer it will be $550 total invested in the mic. is it worth it?

[quote author="versuviusx"]hi
i found out today that i need a new ribbon for my reslo ribbon mic. it also needs a sowter transformer. the guy who told me this told me it would cost 150 for the new ribbon and 75 for a new transformer. but he told me that when it was all said and done that it would still be 6 db less sensitive than a royer R121. so far i have already spent 150 + 175 on this mic. with the new ribbon and transformer it will be $550 total invested in the mic. is it worth it?[/quote]

$150 for re-ribboning??? :shock: Too much!
$550 seems a lot for Reslo, but on the other hand don't forget that with a good transformer and good 1.5um or so foil it wouldn't be a Reslo anymore, and I suspect will sound much better than stock.
Drop me PM and we could figure it out.

I've got an RCA Junior Velocity, 74B I think. It's about as dead as the DAT craze. Anyone think it's worth re-ribbon-ing? I know that a certain guy named Pat would love to ribbon it for me! (where's CJ?) :twisted:

hell yeah get that thing(74b) re ribboned it will becom your go to mic for guitar cabs :thumb:

but if you don't want to I'll take it off your hands

Wil

Wilebee

[quote author="MikoKensington"]I've got an RCA Junior Velocity, 74B I think. It's about as dead as the DAT craze. Anyone think it's worth re-ribbon-ing? I know that a certain guy named Pat would love to ribbon it for me! (where's CJ?) :twisted:[/quote]

I just aquired a 74b and I dig it - the true ribbon master on the board (above) feels this mic is definitely a broadcast mic and not a vocal (performance) mic as there is a pretty distinct mid bump. Guitar cabs though...yeah...I do that later today... :thumb:

You should give the re-ribbon a shot. It's got a pretty large ribbon cradle and it should be relatively easy to work with. You can't really hurt the thing (without a hammer).

-james

I reccomend wes dooley at AEA in pasadena for reribboning, I have never used enac, but know lots of guys that are happy with them. After lots of hoopla on another board, I sent some micrphones to stephen sank and couldnt have been more disappointed. I sent him a dead 74 jr and a functioning 74jr but the ribbon was definitley stretched, it was usable, I was recording with it, but I figured since I was having one done, get them both done to try to go for a closer sound, I wont use the word "match". He was able to fix the dead one, no biggie, but the other mic came back sounding worse than when I sent it. totally disappointing. I dont know if its the ribbon material he is using or what, but those mics really sound like shit now and I need to get them reribboned again. I had the same situation with a 4038 that I sent to wes dooley and my head nearly exploded when I heard it when I got it back, totally amazing. as far as comparing your reslo to a 121, what does it matter, really? Its a different mic. If you are going to use it, put the money into it. Its hard to imagine with a new transformer and proper ribbon job that it would sound terrible, not unless the magnet is bad. does that happen? I dont know...

dave

[quote author="soundguy"]He was able to fix the dead one, no biggie, but the other mic came back sounding worse than when I sent it. totally disappointing. ...
dave[/quote]

Dave,

Did you report about the problem to S. Sank? What did he say?
Allegedly, he uses original RCA foil. I used his material--it seems thick though, compare to 1.5um foil, I use.

not unless the magnet is bad. does that happen? I dont know...

74 Junior uses Alnico magnets, which lose their strength with time. However, it would affect sensitivity, only.

Their front and rear sides sound very different, due to their acoustical arrangements. You could use them for different sound flavor.

He was really great about the whole thing, I sent the mics back and he worked on them again, reported that they were a-ok, I got them back and they sounded identical to when I originally got them back, so... You know, if both mics were busted, that would have been one thing, but I had been recording with the one and knew how good it could sound, so it really got under my skin when it wasnt better when I got it back. Its a skill, reribboning, its not like installing a capacitor or something... I tried that "DX" a B&O also, that sounded pretty un-special too. Maybe its just my taste and expectations vs. experience. I dont mean to trash sank or anything, and he was super nice about the whole thing, Ive just had better luck with AEA who have done my 4038 a few times over the years with two thumbs up performance every time. I sent three mics to sank, thats enough for a fair evaluation I think.

dave

Latest posts

Back