Pics of recent DIY...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dissonantstring

hi everyone,
so i finally got enough courage to post some pics of my recent DIY builds.
i've been doing this for about 2-1/2 years now and i want to really thank everyone on this amazing forum for all the help, encouragement, projects and ideas. i always see others who have such awesome and neat builds and i try to emulate those, but my lack of experience prevents me from getting it just right sometimes. i think the one great thing that i've learned is that you have to factor in the troubleshooting as part of the build which i naively disregarded in the beginning. :oops:

anyway here they are (sorry pics are not the best):

Fabio's Reliquia 312 mic pre (BIG thank you to Fabio for the channel and PSU boards, DOAs and letting me copy his front panel design and a BIG thanks to CJ for winding the CJ-2503 output xfrmr and teaching me the steps! and Jay (fallout) for organizing the group buy of cinemag 75101 inputs and Frank (maxwall) for the knobs!):

R312 front panel
R312 inside
R312 switches

312 mic pre with 2622 input (BIG thanks to Ed Anderson for his version of the 2622 input transformers, Rob Higgins for the boards and Jay (fallout) for organizing the cinemag group buy for the CMOQ-2S output xfrmrs, pots from Joel's (rascalseven) Omeg group buy, Charlie (guavatone) for help with his relay boards and Frank (maxwall) for the knobs!):

312-2622 front panel
312-2622 inside
312-2622 switches

my last and probably final 312 build will have the JT-110K input and CMOQ-2S outputs.
i've also got an 1176 Rev.D mnats version, but i'll post pics in mnats thread. also wanted to really thank Analog Packrat for his guidance and friendship in this insane and rewarding "hobby". next AP is going to show me how to build a "floating wall"...off to the book strore for a copy of "magic for dummies". :green:

-grant

Ahhhhhh..... So nice to see my babies in action and so cleanly implemented. Very sweet job on the wiring Grant.

thanks for the kind comments guys.
(wow! that's really cool coming from you steffen - your builds always look so cool!):oops:

@guavatone:
hi charlie,
i'm always a little embarrassed by my wiring, but i'm getting better at it.
your boards work like a treat and i'm using them on my next 312 with JT-110K input as well. :thumb: thanks so much for your help with your boards. i didn't really use relays before (except on Fabio's boards), but with your help and your boards i understand how to implement them now. i used the extra relay section to switch input impedance which i find useful.

regards,
grant

Great stuff Grant!

Hey I never tried the input Z switch for the transformers, are you using the CM75101 for the Reliquia? How does it sound when you switch the Z?

:thumb:
Fabio

thanks fabio! couldn't have done it without your boards and DOA! :thumb:
yes, i'm using the CM750101 on Reliquia 312 input.
the last time i tried the input z was when tracking guitars through a fender twin and from what i remember i went with the 150 ohm input rather than the 600 ohm. the MD441 being used to mic the cab sounded a little more open with the 150 ohm input, but since it's DIY i like to have options. :green:
-grant

[quote author="dissonantstring"]thanks for the kind comments guys.
hi charlie,
i'm always a little embarrassed by my wiring, but i'm getting better at it.
[/quote]

You should see some of my wiring. Guaranteed to make you feel much better about yours. I used the relay boards in a 1RU with 4 312 cards hoping to use the pics to show the PCBs in action. The end product was a bit sloppy but now I have a pic of yours ;-)

man, thanks for all the nice comments guys. :oops:
sorry, but i don't think i can compare to you guys (steffen, peter p. & volker). i've seen your stuff and that's the kind of build i strive for. :grin:
i really couldn't have done any of this without this forum.

@CJ:
both sound great! it took me long enough to build these! but seriously CJ, you can borrow any of them anytime!
the one with the 2622 input sounds thicker in the upper-mids than Fabio's version with the 75101 input, but very similar character (that's just a listening comparison). i have a DIY melcor in the 2622 input version and one of Fabio's 25.20 DOAs in the 75101 version so that might also account for some differences in sound. i should really switch out DOAs to see what the transformers are doing to the sound though and i should have done some measurements on Ed's 2622 prior to putting it in the circuit like AP suggested (which I may do after I finish my last 312).

@AP
yes, i am glad i put in all those switches at your sadistic advice. :grin:
thanks for all your help with the input impedance switch! :thumb:

well, back to trying to finish up my 3rd 312 build...
cheers,
grant

Latest posts

Back