Great River finished

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneRoomStudio

GDIY Supporter
Here's my MP-2. I finally found time to finish it, and had some extra motivation once people started discussing the project here, so thanks. A lot of credit has to go to Dan Kennedy for being so gracious in sourcing all the parts, providing all the schematics and PCBs, and helping me out a lot in the process. I was lucky enough to do a lot of the work on these at the Great River factory here in the Twin Cities. If any of you have questions while working on yours, let me know.

GRGuts.jpg

GRGuts2.jpg

GRFrontLeft.jpg

GRFrontRight.jpg

-Peter

Peter, let me be the first to congratulate you! At first I was envious but when I read that you made them at the GR factory I was jealous!

I noticed you have the Xfr in the front, isn't it an input Xfr? Is it because of the DI plug?

jim

What did you do with the gain switch. It looks nice, no resistor tree hanging off it...

Lucky to have the shop right there, two cheers for Dan helping you and us out with this project!

As well as the other kind forum folk's who put this together.

Kevin

Kevin, the original design provides for a PCB for the switch, using surface mount resistors.

jim

I'll say ! looks great , nice in the style of the original .

How did you do the front panel font ? [ very jealous , hah ! ]
also nice mounting for the input xfmr .

rock on everyone ! [ they are also good foe classical ]

Peter's part of the local Junior AES and a tech club (I think it was) from one of the local music schools, they approached me some time ago for a tour and BS session. I handed out a bunch of bare boards and said "have fun".

It eventually turned into a number of Saturday and other off hour get-togethers for the guys to build up and test first boards, then mechanical workshops to put the chassis together.

They ranged from ParMetal to recycled to a couple of PowerBox chassis, like the one Peter used, that were what the original units were built in. Peter and another guy, Dan, are the first to get this far, I think Dan still needs a few more hours on final wiring, but he's real close, the other guys are still out on the beach or something...

I'll dig around and find a source for those transformer mounting clips, I still have some that I'd part with, but I can't remember the source this morning.

Congratulations Peter, it looks great.

I believe , tasty beers of various varieties
would be a sufficient form of appreciation

[ not that we want to make Dan have to start jogging ]
If anyone gets the drift !

2007 Beer drive .............well , Don't drive , but you get the drift , right ?

Regards Greg

[quote author="Dan Kennedy"]
I'll dig around and find a source for those transformer mounting clips, I still have some that I'd part with, but I can't remember the source this morning..[/quote]

It's just a piece of angle. I can make a batch if you guys want some. I'll need material size and hole dims though.

Personally I think the front panel look might be better if the star washers were located behind the panel instead of in front... less obstructive of the legending to boot...

But I don't think there's much else that I could possibly criticise! :thumb:

:guinness:

VERY well done!

Keith

great job peter!
you are the first one to the finish line. :thumb:
i knew dan was generous, but i didn't think he would have time for junior AES
workshops too (i wish i had been involved with something like that when i was younger).

i'm with greg, if there's a beer fund collection for dan i'm definitely in! :guinness: :guinness:
kind regards,
grant

Hey Josh , looks like there is a plastic clip which grips the xfmr ,
that'd be the harder part .
I agree with ssl on the Oops washer arrangment , can change that though .

And uh huh , let us know what ya find on the box [ but being in wpg , i
have some for you , you need front plates though]

I have in the past , got some fine Canadian brew to Dan , so if anyone wants to show their appreciation that way , i'll take care of it .

Still , rock on everyone

The clip is by RichCo Plastic: http://www.richco-inc.com/pdf/VM.pdf

It's the one designed to hold a component 1 3/8" diameter.

VM-1011

There are some in stock at Force Electronics, otherwise they have factory stock. Unfortunately it's a 100pc bag order.

I have about 20 I'd be willing to part with on a first bribed, first served basis...

Regarding toroids, I've potted the center of a lot of them with JB Weld. It cures without swelling much, is easy to drill and tap.

The one in Peter's picture is a stock transformer for an MP-2NV, made by Powertronix for me.

The chassis is a PowerBox Micro series. About 10 inches deep.

Latest posts

Back