converting PSU design from bipolar to mono-polar

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kato

warning: newb question ahead:
schematic.png

I'm breadboarding this for 12v relay power.
Removing the (-) side components just to get the (+) positive voltage for the relays. This part I can do, no problem...

...but then it occurred to me I'd have more available current with a paralleled secondary. My transformer is tiny at only 165mA so more current would be a big help - but there's no way to wire the bridge rectifier with a paralled secondary. I guess that's a necessary element to this design - to get 9v boosted for 12v regulation.

Should I just built this as is - leaving off the negative side components? And hope I can drive enough relays? (relays want 30mA) Or get a higher voltage secondary tx? Any thoughts or guidance will be appreciated. Thanks, Kato

Leave off the negative side components. Disconnect the transformer secondary centertap. Conect the - (minus) terminal of the bridge rectifier to the 0V line. This'll give you about 23 volts to the input of the 12V regulator.
(18-1.2)*1.414 = 23.75

Hey thanks for the response nyDave.

What I love about DIY, is that I can just hook it up and find out.
In the intervening time since I posted, I got out the alligator clips...

18vct transformer:

• 10.5vAC on each secondary, no load.

• secondary wired in parallel --> connected to bridge rectifier --> 9.something vDC out of rectifier. (answered my question.)

• bridge rectifier wired per schematic: 18.6vDC after rectifier.

Is a load required (or cap reservoir) for the magical voltage increase provided by rectification?

(I'm going to connect it the way you suggested...)

Latest posts

Back