My latest 1073 Micpre Done!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckD

madriaanse's EZ1290 board

Easy to do once the switches finally came in (4 months later).

1073DPA_Chuck1.jpg

1073DPA_Chuck3.jpg

1073DPA_Chuck4.jpg

1073DPA_Chuck5.jpg

1073DPA_Chuck7.jpg

Thanks madriaanse!

-ChuckD

The panel was done with the newer version called Safmat. But basically the same thing then clear coated. Yes I sprayed the front cream only because I scratched it while drilling.

-ChuckD

Oh wow, that is so cool. I love the 1U styling. Great job ChuckD!!!!!! :thumb:

Did the trimmer work out well? Any problems with hum having the power transformer inside?

Happy tracking!!

M.

Yes I used a 10Klog for the trimmer works great. Also the unit is very quiet with the toroid I used. Very happy with the results. I just noticed that Audio Maintenance started offering the switches!! For much cheaper then through Arrow US.

So the total price of one of these units is now only about 132 USD for the 2 transformers and the switch. Plus a board and chassis I think the whole thing would be just under 300 bucks for a single maybe 400 for a dual.
Not bad at all for a Neve pre amp that sells for 3000 USD
http://vintageking.com/Neve-1073-DPA

Definitely a project worth doing!

-ChuckD

Looks awesome; please put the switch lockwashers on the backside of the front panel (I am the lockwasher sheriff)

I already estimated the cost above.

132 USD (transformers & switch) Audio Maintenance *2 for Dual
45 USD Chassis Par metal
10 USD Safmat Sheets (front panel)
20 USD ? power transformer
35 USD JLM ACDC power supply
Maybe 20 bucks in components,

262 USD for single channel estimate and 394 for a dual

Not including XLRs , toggles and knobs.

-Chuck

Chuck, nice job!

I'm getting ready to finish miy pair. I noticed you don't have a PAD on yours. I'm thinking of not using one because most mikes that need them have them already so no need on the preamp.

Was that your logic for not putting one on?

jim

$394 for a dual????!!!!

i just ordered all the parts i need for a dual from digikey(UK) not including:chassis, JLM ACDC, Carnhill irons, knob thingys from audio maintenance

and it came to £95 ....carnhills come to about £120..knobthingys are £30ish for 2...Cheapest 1U rack i can find in UK £30(maplin)..2xpcbs $50----which comes to a rough total of £300/$600 without the jlm acdc.....

how did u manage to build it so cheap??......of course i'm not sayin £300+ is not cheap compared to a real neve......awsome lookin rack by the way.....how does it sound?

[quote author="josh"]Isn't the 1073 an eq?
Then is this really a 1073 clone without the eq section?[/quote]

Yes that's right...

You've made a very good job ChuckD !!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
The more I see those transformers, the more I like their kind-of-sweet-chocolate color... :green:

Is the color of the leds red or ambre ?

Congratulations !!!

eD)))

Chuck,

There is a small little pcb (I think its that) in between the XLRs and the XFRs. Is that a small board for connections or is there some sort of electronic thing going on there?

jim

Yes I had to cut the corners to have my switches fit where I had already pre-build the front panel.

The little black things are OMRON relays switching the phase, rather then running audio all the way to the front and back again , this is a better solution.
Many others have started doing this as well. Volker has included the idea on his LA2A board and Analag design off board. His are used for true bypass.

-Chuck

Latest posts

Back