Turbo board is fantastic.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are you guys using any hpf with it or is it truly unnecessary with turbo?

also, in sessions, is it reliable to mix into, say 4:1, 10 ms attack, auto-release, 2-6 db, as one might with a real g bus?

thanks. and i'd love to hear one in action if anyone has a clip they'd so generously like to share (any genre) :green:

[quote author="ognam2"]what does this turbo board actually do?

Jonas[/quote]
Might indeed be good to mention 'GSSL' here in this thread.
In short, it adds a second sidechain. Various other threads with more info, search for GSSL & Turbo.

Have a good weekend,

[quote author="clintrubber"][quote author="ognam2"]what does this turbo board actually do?

Jonas[/quote]
Might indeed be good to mention 'GSSL' here in this thread.
In short, it adds a second sidechain. Various other threads with more info, search for GSSL & Turbo.

Have a good weekend,[/quote]

it's meant to increase the stereo spread of the gssl to better match the real one. the original compressed too hard down the middle for many to want it consistently on their mix bus.

the guy who made it did an awesome demo video with a tone, but sadly and strangely no music. especially since he had a real g bus right there to a/b. ah well. word of mouth is good but from no one i've seen yet that could similarly compare or validate whether or not it's now attained the same almost 'universal usefulness' as the ssl. :?:

guess we gotta try for ourselves. this is diy, after all. :wink: (unless someone wants to chime in of course!)

Well. when I made the video the only audio I had was a camera mic. you wouldn't be able to 'listen' to music properly or judge it in any way critically.

The music also would have wiggled the meter and made the difference between the two modes less easy to see. -The steadiness of the needles means that the two modes are therefore easier to see.

In fact, the time constant and ratio stuff remains unchanged by the mod (Arttack and Release circuit remains a precise duplication of the SSL original, and the ratio is duplicted a second time).

In fact it now acts EXACTLY the same as the SSL (which wasn't a G in the video; it was a J-series) and it now does indeed work PRECISELY the same as the SSL original, which the GSSL does not. -For that reason, if you're looking for versatility, I've suggested making the modes switchable, but the 'turbo' mode is absolutely identical to the original SSL unit, in the exact way that the GSSL wasn't.

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"]In fact it now acts EXACTLY the same as the SSL (which wasn't a G in the video; it was a J-series) and it now does indeed work PRECISELY the same as the SSL original, which the GSSL does not. -For that reason, if you're looking for versatility, I've suggested making the modes switchable, but the 'turbo' mode is absolutely identical to the original SSL unit, in the exact way that the GSSL wasn't.[/quote]

that's very awesome to hear! thanks for the reply, and for the pcb. i can't wait to work with it myself; sounds like it will be great. :guinness:

SOO, I finished my unit. ( i had a small problem with a resistor... wrong value). did a new frontpanel with handpainted markings and a new round meter.

what can I say. before the gssl started pumping a little too soon for my taste (i do hiphop mainly, so the kick is usually BIG) on the mixbus. It was great for drums though, but not so great on the mixbus.

now with the turbo, I think it's more glue than pumping action. the compression is more suttle overall (does this make any sense?). I an compress more without anyone noticing that there's actually a compressor on the mixbus although I have no idea what my meter is showing me. I just watch it wiggle and use my ears...

all I can say is thanks jacob, keith and anyone who was involved in this!

p.s. im going to take my turbo to jaakko and see what he says about it.

Keith and Rochey,

Kudos!

I had a few hours to spare today and knocked out my Turbo Board from start to finish in around 4 hours, stuffed, triple checked, installed and tested. Followed the directions to the T and it worked as expected.

Um... when I saw worked I meant it passed audio, but I really didn't expect to hear what I did... I think you need to add the disclaimer that anyone who adds it has to relearn this compressor.

It is SO much more useful now. I LOVE the GSSL but found it a bit of one trick pony and loved what it did to drums, but found it not as useful on 2Buss, the Turbo changes all that... there really isin't a need for the Sidechain option now.

I actually had to 'undo' the well documented 'Threshold mod' that I think was shred by RogerFoote, with it in and the turbo board fitted I had to crank up the Threshold to get suitable amounts of compression and needed to return the GSSL to stock without the mod to get the benefits of the Turbo board.

Thanks again for the great project and to others, you owe it to yourself to get a Turbo board!!

Cheers

Matt

:green:

:thumb:

:guinness:

guiness1.gif

Keef

Cool post Patrick ! :thumb:

That's the over all jump in 2 bus mix results that I'm getting. Pretty hard not to be very pleased with the GSSL Turbo combo! I now plan to install it on my second unit as well, because I think it will still be just as right on a drum buss.

cheers,
Lance

Latest posts

Back