passive parallel compression

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dagoose

Right now i'm in the middle of doing a passive insert box for my mastering with 6 inserts: 3x compressor and 3x EQ.
It will be quite simple (well.. thought it was simple when i started) with 3 stepped switches powering relais for the 3 inserts for the compressor side and also a 3 stepped switch for the EQ side.
To do that it has 24 relais for just the inserts in and out (that is balanced ofcourse).
Then it will also have a bypass for the compressor and EQ so that if i only need an EQ i bypass the compressor (10 relays in total).
Most of the times i use the compressor first and then the EQ but sometimes i want EQ and then compressor, to do the swithing with just one button you'll need an extra 8 relays that makes a total of 44 relays :cool:
I will post the schematics for that soon..

The thing is.. i also want to do parallel compression, so actually a wet /dry for the compressor inserts.
I was thinking of using a 4 deck 12 stepped swith with resistors like in the really simple schematic below. (only one channel and just +, in total you'll need this 4x)
Will this work and what values should i use for the resistors?
Or does it work a little different then i think and do i have to use some active summing?

Anyone?

parcompres.jpg

You'd need resistors in series with the comp-output as well, otherwise that low-Z output would be shorting the dry signals.

I'd go for active, the crush'n'blend from Keith that you've might already seen is perfect for this.

Bye,

Peter

[quote author="clintrubber"]You'd need resistors in series with the comp-output as well, otherwise that low-Z output would be shorting the dry signals.

I'd go for active, the crush'n'blend from Keith that you've might already seen is perfect for this.

Bye,

Peter[/quote]
Yep, i was also thinking of a resistor in series with the compressor.
Crush 'n' blend? hmm... where is it?

The above is almost certainly a REALLY bad idea...

Crush the ever-loving crap out of the signal and then allow the input to see the output through a resistor? (HINT: signal flows BOTH ways through a resistor! :wink:)

Recipe for oscillation.

You need a "Crush-N-Blend". Nothing else will do.

Keith

[quote author="dagoose"]Crush 'n' blend? hmm... where is it?[/quote]
Crush'n'blend, or try Crush-n-blend, most likely it'll be on a screen very near you when you hit the search-function.

But hey, who cares about parallel conmpression nowadays... I mean, 3-0, yeah ! :razz: :grin:

[quote author="clintrubber"]
But hey, who cares about parallel conmpression nowadays... I mean, 3-0, yeah ! :razz: :grin:[/quote]

:thumb: :sam: :thumb: :guinness: :green: :sam: :thumb: :guinness:

[quote author="clintrubber"][quote author="dagoose"]Crush 'n' blend? hmm... where is it?[/quote]
Crush'n'blend, or try Crush-n-blend, most likely it'll be on a screen very near you when you hit the search-function.

But hey, who cares about parallel conmpression nowadays... I mean, 3-0, yeah ! :razz: :grin:[/quote]

Yep, allready found it, have to check out the schematics to see how it works.
I'd liked the idea of going passive all the way for this box but it looks like that is not gonna work indeed.
But that really doesn't matter that much when i think about it because when bypassed it's still passive.
Thanks! :thumb:

3-0? :sam: (where are the :heineken:, :amstel: and :grolsch: smileys?) :roll:
I don't like football (my wife does more then i do) but this was fun!

[quote author="dagoose"]I'd liked the idea of going passive all the way for this box but it looks like that is not gonna work indeed.[/quote]
I can understand what you're after, but yep, it wouldn't be the best approach imho.

3-0? :sam: (where are the :heineken:, :amstel: and :grolsch: smileys?) :roll:
I don't like football (my wife does more then i do) but this was fun!
I'm not very much into it either, but I'm always in for tournaments like these, watching it with friends in town - we don't dress in orange though, let that be said :wink:

Bye!

Peter

[quote author="dagoose"]I'd liked the idea of going passive all the way for this box but it looks like that is not gonna work indeed.
But that really doesn't matter that much when i think about it because when bypassed it's still passive.[/quote]
Maybe I'm missing something about all of this... -whatever is the attraction of just being passive?

I mean, the only "compressor schematics" which I ever saw which were completely passive were without exception absolutely terrible. (UREI 813 protection circuit, anyone?)

-If the compressor HAS to be active, why try and make the stuff around it passive? -Is this rather like ordering a diet coke to accompany a triple-cheeseburger with extra mayo?

Sometimes passive sucks. -Perhaps the trick is being able to recognise when...

Keith

Maybe dagoose wanted to have all-things-active out of the signal-path when the compressor was still in-line, but not engaged ?

With all respect, I think moving the mic 1mm might have more impact on the sound :wink:
(you'll catch my drift)

[quote author="jensenmann"]dagoose, is this dutch-audio company you are advertising on your homepage you or someone else?[/quote]

I see parts of my dual 1176 fpd file in the picture section > http://www.dutch-audio.com/pictures/index.html

Maybe I should ask for a share :wink:

it makes me wonder how someone can sell Gssls with all the features developed here by generous people and then claim it a custom piece of gear. It´s a thief in my opinion whoever it is.

Price 1100 Euro, what an opportunity

Thrust filter by API rev eng by steffen
Sidechain filter has been developped/discussed here by various people
LED meters by roger foote IIRC
what else....?

Slowly I start to lose my believe in people here

IT MAKES ME SICK THAT EVERYBODY AND HIS STEPMOTHER ARE TRYING TO MAKE A FAST BUCK OUT OF OTHER PEOPLES WORK

analags dual opto design seems to be availabe, also Kevin/Peters Night EQ3D, an enhanced pultec, probably made with Frank Röllen/Silent:arts PCB design, ......
:thumb: congrats, Dutch audio, you are great. Best luck with your attitude

[quote author="radiance"][quote author="jensenmann"]dagoose, is this dutch-audio company you are advertising on your homepage you or someone else?[/quote]

I see parts of my dual 1176 fpd file in the picture section > http://www.dutch-audio.com/pictures/index.html

Maybe I should ask for a share :wink:[/quote]

you can see a really small bit indeed :)
10% PPD? :green:

BTW It's not like a real company or something, i'm planning on doing my passive monitor controller design for sale but not like really seriously but more like: 'you can buy this kind of controller if you want and i can add more, jsut ask what you want'

About the passive idea: just as clintyrubber states, i like the idea of staying passive for clean lines that are not coloured but for the parallel compression thingy i'll think i'll go for the active way indeed.
Have to dive into the schematics (when is moved to my new house) and get into the crush n blend. It looks quite simple and should work for all designs, it also looks like i can implement it into my insert box quite simply but i thought that building this box would be nothing more but a couple of relays but it turned out i needed a bit more :)
But i allready started it an d i will finish it! Saves me a lot of time switching things in line with my patchbay and AB'ing will be a lot easier with just a switch and some nice parallel compression :thumb:

I will post pics of what i have so far soon..

[quote author="jensenmann"]it makes me wonder how someone can sell Gssls with all the features developed here by generous people and then claim it a custom piece of gear. It´s a thief in my opinion whoever it is.

Price 1100 Euro, what an opportunity

Thrust filter by API rev eng by steffen
Sidechain filter has been developped/discussed here by various people
LED meters by roger foote IIRC
what else....?

Slowly I start to lose my believe in people here

IT MAKES ME SICK THAT EVERYBODY AND HIS STEPMOTHER ARE TRYING TO MAKE A FAST BUCK OUT OF OTHER PEOPLES WORK

analags dual opto design seems to be availabe, also Kevin/Peters Night EQ3D, an enhanced pultec, probably made with Frank Röllen/Silent:arts PCB design, ......
:thumb: congrats, Dutch audio, you are great. Best luck with your attitude[/quote]

sorry man if that offents you... i'll get you point for sure. but as you might have seen there is a big GSSL clone sign there in the first line and trust me, it's not commercial otherwise i would have done it a bit differently.
I just don't need 3 ssl's in my studio... what should i do then? give it away for free?
I build a new one for myself that is using the turbo option, different VCA's and stuff and so i had this one as a left over. (couldn't use the original board any more)
i'm not even making much profit, just some time (you know how much time it costs to build) and the panel is done at schaeffer (100 euro's), case is quite expensive and all other parts are also expensive as you might know, i'll think in total i payed about 650/700 to build it.

I can get it of my site if you want.. (will remove the other pics) but that is the only place it is for sale and when it's sold it's sold and no other units are made.

I'll just go for the monitorcontroller (my own design) and maybe some other simple boxes (my own design) but not the designs that can be found at this forum.. please trust me on that one..
I really don't want to offent someone.

your advertising looks different than what you´re telling now.

I´m surely not the one to judge people, so do what you have to do. But in the last three days I stumbled over three homepages where projects out of our beloved lab are advertised professionally (including VAT!). This drives me crazy...anyway I already expressed my opinion.

Maybe the choice of word on your hompage is a bit misleading :wink:

[quote author="jensenmann"]your advertising looks different than what you´re telling now.

I´m surely not the one to judge people, so do what you have to do. But in the last three days I stumbled over three homepages where projects out of our beloved lab are advertised professionally (including VAT!). This drives me crazy...anyway I already expressed my opinion.

Maybe the choice of word on your hompage is a bit misleading :wink:[/quote]

OK.. your'e a bit right on the advertising style i used.. So i changed it a bit.

The SSL is still for sale for 1100 euro's including VAT, so actually it is 891 euro's and then i still have to pay about 40% taxes = about 550 euro's while it costed me about the same, not bad for a commercial company :wink:

I removed all other pics (i'm proud of what i have build as we all do), just my own design monitorcontroller (i shared the schematics BTW) and updated some stuff.
I Hope this is OK with you now? no offense? :sam:

OK... back with the parallel compression stuff:

Found the topic (not that hard..) http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=8360&highlight=crushnblend and found out on page 2 that clintrubber was also working on a combination of MS en/decoding in combination with parallel compression. http://www.uneeda-audio.com/mat03.pdf
Has anyone tried this out yet? makes my insertbox even cooler (dammit... i just wanted a simple insert box)

Latest posts

Back