8 Channel 9K finished

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

signalflow

After 2 GSSL's I thought I would try my hand at these.  I've already used them in the studio and the amount of detail I got was unlike anything I've ever gotten before, clean, clean, clean.  I've never had such and easy mix.  I used them on everything, so i could get a feel for what I had.  As soon as the client puts up a link on his website I'll post it here.

Ok, here are some shots.....

Inside before pre-amps were mounted.  The PCB on the back panels is an un-named firewire A/D board that at this point is still not working right....oh well, that hurdles next.

l_c70b15ce964b03d039b57526d627465b.jpg

Pre's mounted and cabling ready for front panel. since the boards were lined up perfectly I used lines directly through the power and ground terminals in groups of four to send power instead of doing jumpers with molex connectors on each one, pretty much the same way older consoles do it I think.

l_f7236bf350fbbe5ae5aa3adc5a7cfc10.jpg

Here is the back/front panel with switches, gain and power mounted and ready for the front/front piece.  This was actually out of necessity and not creativity(well creativity after the point :wink: ).  I totally screwed up the front panel when i tried to drill it myself :roll: oh well live and learn.

l_4f698cce5a5409e76e888b0e607d9fad.jpg

And here is the final product in the studio with my first two builds, nothing special about those but the third one will have the turbo and possibly the crush & blend in the unit.

l_4043c5ebe79311ca7f9c1b28b7b45a85.jpg

Thanks to all that helped answer questions knowingly or not.  Keith this thing is amazing thank you for your time designing something fantastic!
Gustav thanks for the boards, I'm sure the bug will hit to build more of these.

-Casey

That's pretty f'n cool. I've got a wood front/back for mine as well.. Couldn't get aluminum in time from anyone near me, so that's what it went.. Hopefully I'll get mine working when I get back home... :oops:

Any chance to bug you for those measurements?

Casey super clean build, looks fantastic! Can I ask what your switches are doing and if you use that third party board for them? Oh by the way what's that big switch on the right doing?

:cool:

Abby,
Switches are JLM go between's on all 8 channels. The big switch on the right is the power.

Mitsos,
I'll get them back from the studio and let you know.

Hi Casey!!
Nice built effectively! :shock: :shock:
A firewire interface??This 8 x 9K pre should directly work (with a computer) as a daw??
What is the "brand" of these dark red caps you used??
BTW congrats for this clean built!!
cheers :sam: :sam:

RedNoise,

Yeah it should but right now I'm having a hellofa time getting it to work right. But, once it is working I will be able to send 16 channels into my multi-track program. The "BIG" caps are panasonic Poly "B" series. The leads were to big so I had to widen the holes so they would fit :roll:

Wow. Good stuff man...looks great.

I'm sure sounds great too! :guinness:

looks really nice!

that black compressor that has hand written labels - is that just silver sharpie? i really dig that aesthetic!

yep, silver sharpie. Had the panel drilled from a guy down the street from my old job going off of one of the .fpd files floating around then bought a sharpie from target :green: Couldn't convince the wife of the extra expense of engraving. On that note I'm pricing having a screen made for the GSSL and redoing the printing at my house using this method.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=28366&highlight=screen+printing

-Casey

:sam: :sam:
Casey this rocks, but I gotta ask:

Can you give us the details on your firewire interface card? Who makes it? Is it something you designed?

Totally AWESOME, I want to build the same kind of thing.

Great job!

I did not design the FW interface it's taken from a helix 24 MKII that had some other problems in the analog section and the guy i got it off of did not want to mess with it. So i took it apart and started searching for documentation. But so far i still have not gotten it to connect via the driver. If i can't then i will pull it and install one of these http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=46 We'll see what happens.

-Casey

We now have a new (more DIY friendly) version of the dual 2k2 rev log pots (OM-01-073)..... these have the 1/4 inch diameter shaft which is 65mm long.... they also have a 10% tolerance track.

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/potentiometers_carbon_20mm_diameter_dual_gang.html

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Latest posts

Back