My kind of 49

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rossi

My dream of a mic is a Neumann M49. So I decided to build something vaguely similar, albeit using a simple FET circuit. I'm thinking about a tube version, though.

The capsule is a Dale M7, the transformer is one of those "BV-style" Giantbenny ones. They're about 10:1, so I decided on a simple KM84 style one FET circuit. There's nothing really new or particularly interesting about "my" mic design. The reason I'm showing it here is the mechanical part, which may inspire some of you guys. In particular the M7 capsule mount that some of you may be struggeling with. It took me a while to come up with a simple solution.

Mount_closeup_web.jpg

As you see, it's just a V-shaped brass profile bent to a kind of omega shape, which then slides into a copper tube. A long M3 screw presses down on the brass profile, thus fixing it. The screw of course is also used to fix the mount on the base plate, which is just perfboard. I used a rubber thingy which in fact was a capsule holder for a small electret mic capsule (any piece of rubber tube may do just as well). This rubber thingy makes the mount a little flexible which helps to reduce rumble.

MY49_internal_web.jpg

Here's the whole internal assembly. One good thing about it is that it holds together without the housing. Once it's finished you just loosen the screws below, mount it into the microphone body and fasten the screws again. The whole affair is held togetehr by three of the same long M3 screws I used for the capsule mount. The standoffs are just rubber tube which is dirt cheap and very easy to cut into any size you need. Plus the rubber tube is flexible which helps to keep the screws fastened and again helps to reduce rumble.

MY49_capsule_mount_web.jpg

I should probably shorten those screws. But I'm thinking about putting some dampening material on the base plate, and those screws might be useful to hold it in place.

MY49_fertig_web.jpg

As you see, I decided to use one of those big ass ribbon mic housings. The main reason being the large basket. Once you take out the internal ribbon protection stuff, the actutal basket is pretty open and transparent, pretty much like a real M49. Despite its openness, pop noises are hardly a problem, even without a pop screen. A large open basket is still more protective than a small basket using dense material.

How does it sound? Excellent! Which, no doubt, is mostly due to Dale's M7 style capsule. I have a Gefell UM92S to compare to. The Gefell sounds somewhat darker, which to some extent is due to the tube circuit, but probably just as much due to the fact that the capsule is mounted in a smallish, less open basket. Another difference is in noise. A tube mic will usually be somewhat higher in noise, and the Gefell is no exception. My 49 style FET mic is dead quiet, even without a DC converter for proper 60V bias. On the other hand, right now it is cardioid only, so there's no extra noise from the rear diaphragm.

Anyway, big thanks to Dale for his capsule work!

Cheers,
Andreas

Yes, 2N3819. The source resistor is hand selected, of course. Since the capsule is not grounded, I was able to do without a capsule to FET cap (which also saved me one gigaohm resistor). There's double filtering on the polarization voltage and a rather large filtering cap next to the zener. Other than that everything's pretty much standard.

Thanks for the pics Andreas.  Yes.  I haven't gotten to my M7 because of the mechanical roadblock.  I need to figure out a circular damping made from silicon and plan out how I will mount the M7.

nice to see something a little different.  maybe someday my mic parts collection will coalesce into something, while i'm working on other things.

ed

I would change the top perf to fiberglass perf or sheet and/or add large diameter washers at the mounting of the post to perf.
  That type perf board might snap at the connection of the post to perf with that length of post with an impact to the microphone body.

Good point, Gus. There is a big washer underneath, but I didn't have one at hand for the top side. Right now everything seems quite solid, but it's probably a good idea to add some support or use a more rugged material when I'm working on it again.

Right now I'm thinking about adding omni and wide caridioid patterns, which would be easy to implement. Figure 8 would require a DC converter, and I have several other mics for figure 8 already.

Thanks, Steve.  :)
As I said, the electronics part is nothing special, I mainly wanted to show ways to use household materials for mic designs.

Hi Rossi,

Beautiful work on your microphone. Nice use of the T Bone carcus.

Anyone seen this new MXL V900 mic?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Broadcast-Recording-Condenser-Studio-Microphone-BIN_W0QQitemZ170280683037QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item170280683037&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Looks like they stole your design.

Jim

Yeah, who would have thought I get copied so fast?  ;D

Ah, okay, I stole that design from Neumann.  ;)

That MXL looks pretty cool, although I'd prefer the rounder grill and body of the t.bone ribbon.

Back