SSL9k PSU with CRCRC

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsos

Hi, I wanted to build a PSU based on Keith's 9K PSU but with the CRCRC from the GSSL "fix" just to be able to rule out PSU as source of noise. Is it as simple as putting the CRCRC in between rectifiers and regulators? (I was going to do 3 CRCRCs; one each for the positive, negative and phantom rails). 

I know it's a higher parts count and in an accountant-ruled world, this would be vetoed or at best used on an as-needed basis, but if I want a 100% sure PSU design that won't ever be the cause of any headaches, would this be worthwhile (or the best way)?

Also, are the cap and resistor sizes dependant on the final voltages, circuit current, or something else?

I think Keith had recommended 470uf and 10R(IIRC?) for the GSSL filter. Are these numbers kind of generic and could be used for other circuits, or would I have to adjust either the caps or resistors, or both?  If so, how would I choose the right values?

Finally, am I crazy? Is this completely unnecessary?

Thanks!

Well, it only becomes necessary if you have 120Hz (in the USA etc) or 100Hz (in Eurpoe etc) noise. -I would suggest building it first, then yuo can ALWAYS add the CRC later if needs be.

With the KPS-1 PSU (known coloquially as the '9k psu') it becomes a little less obvious where you would put the resistors...

I don't think I remember enyone ever complaining of double-frequency line noise PSU noise on the SSL 9k pres, so I'm not sure that you'd ever need to, but -yes- essentially you've got the basic idea.

However, it's a handful of components which you can always RETROFIT quite easily... -I suggest buildint it WITHOUT first, before you fix a possibly 'nonexistant' problem.

Keith

Thanks for the reply Keith.. I know what you mean.. I do have one built with no problems(my problems are elsewhere, see my ssl9k post), I just figured this would be a nice board to etch for possible future use.

I have another question for you, since you commented about the resistor placement being less obvious... in the case of a 3-rail PSU, there would be 6 resistors, 2 per rail. On the 2 positive rails (+ and phantom) should they go between the positive legs of the electrolytics? And on the negative rail, they would then go between the negative legs of the 3 electros? Here is a terrible picture (of a positive rail) to go along with my terrible explanation :D :  (the + and - are the legs of the electrolytics)

grounded pins    -              -            -

positive pins      +  resistor + resistor + 

That is what I understood from the GSSL CRCRC. 
thanks again

Latest posts

Back