Interconnect wire recommendations

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeperKing

Hi Folks,

I'm putting together the total parts needed for D-LA2A, PM670, S800EQ, 33609 & a Dual SONTEC altogether.  I checked the meta and searched, but I couldn't see any suggestions of what type of wiring should be obtained.

Could I get suggstions on what wire cores/gauge/type/manufacturer should be used for the likes of:
  • Balanced interconnections
  • Unbalanced interconnections
  • Mains interconnections
  • PCB power interconnections
  • Pot interconnections
  • Switch interconnections
  • LED interconnections
  • Lamp interconnections
  • VU interconnections
  • Anything else I've left out :)

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but the last DIY I did was a PAIA SIAB, so this is a big step up :-[

Thanks,
LK.

I think to some degree you might be over thinking it. I realise different wire gauges and type can have certain effects but given the type of circuits you're building it probably wont matter too much. I think the main thing is just to get "good" wire, making sure that its rated ok for what you're using it for.

But hey thats just me. I'm sure others take into account the effect made by different types of wire. I just use whatever is closest :p ;D

Rob

Here's my thoughts on the subject of wire types to use when building outboard gear...... I await the incoming missiles!

Not knowing your circumstances I don't know if you are building for a small home studio or a commercial studio; in the final analysis it probably won't matter.

Starting off by considering that there are two areas of complex cabling in a typical studio:
1. Mixing console internal wiring (including the patchbay), and,
2. The studio inter-equipment fixed wiring.

The sum total of wiring that signals will pass through in the journey from microphone-to-mastering can be anything from possibly 100 metres minimum (small studio set-up) to many kilometres (large multitrack commercial studio).

Console wiring, audio:
I am taking 3 of the UK's high-end console manufacturers for reference where I have direct experience of working on their products.
These types of wire are used in the line-level interconnects:
Shielded twisted twin (Canford FST and similar),
Ribbon cable: some twist & flat, some flat only,
Twisted pairs of wire-wrap wire (yes, you read it correct),
Shielded ribbon cable.
Twisted-pair 7/0.2,
One company that no longer makes consoles used Mogami for all internal and patchbay wiring.
Mic level interconnects are typically Canford FST or similar.

Console wiring, power:
Exact wire size depends on the current required at the end of the wire, but the 3 top-end console manufacturers use nothing more exciting than "equipment wire"....... 7/0.2, 16/0.2, 24/0.2 and so on, as supplied by RS, Farnell, CPC, etc. Use "Tri-rated" if you want an easy ride through international safety standards..... irrelevant if you are only doing home-build.

Studio wiring:
In a broadcast environment, the cables are best described as shielded telephone cable!
Music studios tend to gravitate towards Van Damme, Kelsey, Gepco, Sommer and similar multicore cables for bulk signal carrying.

Wiring your own self-build equipment:
With the above as a reference of what the "big-boys" use, you would not go wrong in using equipment wire for virtually everything in the build-up of outboard equipment. A quick and cost-effective way of getting some nice to use shielded-pair cable for internal wiring of outboard gear is to buy a couple of metres of multicore (Van Damme, Gepco, Kelsey, Sommer, etc) cable and strip it for the individually shielded and jacketed pairs.

Nothing special went into the original 33609 units..... it's a good point to remember when you need to sober-up on a wiring decision!
When a lot of this kit was first manufactured, "equipment wire" and "shielded twin" was all that was available.

If the suggestion of "Use silver plated cable" is made, ask yourself this: How much of the rest of the set-up is wired in silver-plated wire? Will a couple of metres really make a huge difference? How many studios and consoles are fully wired in silver cable?*

Hope this helps.

Gareth.

* yes, such studios and consoles do exist.

For audio wiring you need shielded twisted pair. Really anything will do. I like mogami console cable W2944 for internal equipment wiring because it had a small OD and is flexible. You could also use something like Gepco  IP222AL which is a little less expensive, larger OD and less flexible. The upside is that the jacket is tough enough to use for equipment interconnection. Both of these cable types are subject to handling noise so they should only be uses for permanent installations. For mic cable you should use something like Gepco XB201M.

I find it handy to have hook up wire in a few different colors. All Electronics always has it at good prices. For power inside of equipment I use stranded 16ga cable.

Latest posts

Back