Calrec EQ IC's

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colonelmot

I'm building a couple of Gyrafs Calrec EQ's and am wondering how much difference IC choice makes??
Is there any substantial difference between the NE5532 and the LM833 regarding noise or tonality? would the NE5532AN "High performance" make any difference?

Thanks

Hi Colonel,

..Welcome to "The Lab"!

No, there is not much difference between the two types in that circuit. I think the high end tends to benefits from LM833's - and the overall sound benefits from 5532's. So it's basically up to you. Use IC sockets, then the changing is easy and relatively inexpensive - and then you can make a qualified choice.

Jakob E.

is RC4580 can be used in this project aswell???
texas instruments claims its fully equalent to lm833

10x

BTW if you look in the original schemo you find that different ICs are used there - 5532, LM833 and TL072. The one thing that I can't understand is why did they do it like that, 'cause I can't find any system in how these ICs are grouped. Any ideas?

Current drain. Check the IC specs for exact details. High component density in a small space = heat = requirement for low-current.
553x also used in low-noise / high drive areas.

Back