[FWIW/Info] Beh. 4-DI does iron

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintrubber

Quite a while ago we had a thread in which the Beh. Ultra-DI (DI 4000) came up,
and for some reason the idea came up that it was probably to cheap to have indeed
the originally advertised output-transformers on board.

Their customer support wouldn't confirm their presence, and kept stubbornly doing so,
so that made things a bit suspicious. Some of you might say that a Beh.-boxes with or without
signal-transformers remain junk either way, but as you see I've just done that for you already,
so no need anymore. And I don't agree for various of their boxes)

OK, got one for peanuts recently and had a look inside, see pics below.
Four decently sized boxes, so end of story (and yep, a bit sloppy mounted).

OK, be informed, live goes on, let's all move on...

... no wait, now having one, I'd like to know what Tape Op magazine had to say about this box.

Issue #47 TapeOp  May/June 2005 has a review, anyone cares to have a look/scan or at least tell me what they thought of it ?
It won't determine my usage, but being surprised that they reviewed this box I've gotten curious if they're
praising or trashing it (I guess it'll be one of these two).

And if someone happens to have a schematic that'd be nice as well, there's various stuff added (LPF etc), wouldn't mind having a look at what they're doing.

Bye / thanks !

Peter

BTW, if someone needs more pics just tell.

BTW #2 The Xmas-lights at the outside can been seen at their site, no pics of that here:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DI4000.aspx

Attachments

• IMG_1790_4TX.jpg
    IMG_1790_4TX.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 175
I forgot to add the date code: mine is '0801', so at least that batch has the TXs.

And let's attach another pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1789_1TX.jpg
    IMG_1789_1TX.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 160
I've never had a problem with their products personally. My son outgrew the Beringer 6 channel mixer and has been on my TV since 2001. After he used it for years. And I used to have an ada 8000 and it never blew up or got hot or anything. My friend's music store sells that brand and he told me he is amazed what he can sell to people. And they can afford it. Dunno just my experience.

Not surprised they have trannies in there;) They gotta keep up I guess.

Don't understand why you would need 4 DI's tho at once.

You can get a simple PC Mount Generic coil transformer put on some Ni Lams, and you have a nice cheap transformer that can be made off shore by the zillions.

I have an old Shure Video Conference surplus box that was loaded with those guys.

Stagefright13 said:
Not surprised they have trannies in there;) They gotta keep up I guess.

If these transformers are the same type used in their Ultra DI-100, then they are junk. They don't have mu-metal shielding, so you can't put it on top of your SVT and expect it to be quiet.

A pair of stereo keyboard rigs, or a keyboard and a separate sampler, or ...

-a

Stagefright13 said:

Right, like Andy said, four is easy to fill: it'll live in my bass-rig
for which the rack also contains the gizmo/samples/sounds-stuff,
so then one stop shopping for these signals to the PA.

Hey, for toying around with DI's to see how to best feed a signal to a PA
I could fill all four by bass alone already  ;)

(1) buffered-bass-direct,
(2) post-o'drive-blend,
(3) post-preamp
(4) post-poweramp (the Beh-thing has attenuation to take speaker-levels, but
before I connect a BTL-amp to it I'd better check a few things...)

Obviously that's just wehn toying, but it'll come in handy for such experiments.

For what I paid for it, it's already worth the price to have the XLRs on the
front of the rack, no more hassle at the rear.
I had already been looking at this box a few years ago and then recently this thing
popped up like brand-new for less than nothing, so I took it.

Cheers,

Peter

Andy Peters said:
If these transformers are the same type used in their Ultra DI-100, then they are junk. They don't have mu-metal shielding, so you can't put it on top of your SVT and expect it to be quiet.

Sure, at a box-price that would not even buy you a single Jensen-TX I understand these will be not that much more than just 'hey we're True Transformer IsolatedTM', but let's see how they perform. Without doubt it'll be doing just fine for not-too-critical appliactions. And let's see if my SVT-IIp can get them to hum  :) (I went for solid-state power-amps).

But anyone cares to look at the review in Tape Op #47 (May/June 2005 )? Curious what they 're saying.
Thanks !

Bye,

Peter

I use the Ultra DI-800 in the studio, it has "unbalanced" keyboard inputs and balanced out into
the desk.
Nothing but clean and LOUD synths here !!

MM.

Back