Buying a new computer (help needed)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiox

My old computer was Intel Pentium 4 (3,0GHz). I bought it in 2004. The programs (CAD) that I am using are relatively old (about 10 years) so the speed has never been a problem. That is why I am going to buy the cheapest computer available. I am expecting the same performance as my old computer was.

Motherboard options:
Asus P5SD2-VM
Intel M-ATX G41 S775 FSB1333 DDR2-800 (+40 euros)

Processor options:
Intel Celeron 430 1,8GHz 512kB
Intel Dual Core E5200 2,5GHz 2MB (+30 euros)

Which one to choose? 70 euros is not so much money, if it is better...

Operating system is Win XP (I found a place where it is still available).

Thanks for your advice. Is it possible that dual core processor causes some problems with Windows XP or very old programs? This can be very stupid question but I have no idea.

What about motherboard? Is it a good idea to buy Intel instead of Asus?

I haven't had any experience with that particular asus mainboard, but I see it's based on SiS chipset, which I would stay away from. That other intel board looks better.. Also, if you looking for a cheap budget mainboard, check out Biostar, their stuff is supposed to be good...

Why do you need a new computer? The Pentium 3.0e with two sticks of 800MHz RAM is easily as fast as a Celery 1.8GHz, and for most work not far behind a Duet-Core 2.4GHz.

At work I went from a 3.0e to a Q6600 quad-core, and I can benchmark the difference, but at the chair the main difference is new drives and a less-buggy video card (the one in my 3.0 was an antique). My home PC is still a P4 3.0e, and with the dreaded VIA chipset; it works fine.

However, the cost of a few Gigabytes of RAM for the older P4 mobos starts to make a new mobo/CPU kit look attractive. DDR2 is much less expensive than the older RAM.

> Is it possible that dual core processor causes some problems with Windows XP or very old programs?

Anything is "possible" in the wonderful world of AT clones. However a P-4 3.0GHz is already multi-processor. Task Manager will show "two CPUs", see screen-shot. I have not had bugs related to this, and I run some awful old software.

If you have real work for the CPU, such as CAD, don't buy the Celeron. It is hobbled in ways that hardly bother most users, because most users spend 99% of time waiting on keyboard or network action. But when you have a big job for the CPU all ready to go (even just a CAD re-fresh after moving a line), the larger cache and faster memory interface on Pentium or other premium badge will make a difference.

Attachments

• 3-0-P4-taskman.gif
    3-0-P4-taskman.gif
    25.4 KB · Views: 123
i would stay away from celeron's semprons ect...
the budget chips are for minor browsing and bs...

the core duo's are nice, stay decently cool and have alot of power.

i dont know about these days, but in the past the intel celeron's were the exact same chip as the pentiums, with half of the cache just not installed.
durons, then semprons went through different fabrications to optimize the lack of cache and power for better performance.

i would not buy a pentium-d or dual core at this time...the core duo is powerhouse for not much more.
i have been a fan of the nforce chipsets in the past...not sure about the nforce4 that is out now..
as cheap as stuff is getting...its almost cheaper and easier to buy a ready built system and upgrade whatever  you need on it.

www.newegg.com
www.tigerdirect.com

well if u can handle it
go for a 4x core cpu like the q6600 before they stop it(soon) its roughly at 140€ in france a really good powerhouse for the price
(in case of mass plug ins utilisation its really interesting and not to expensive- mayeb be good for future application u will need)
nowadays i put 1 or 2 convolution reverb on my protools rig and the quad is not too much
if it"s budget time go for the dual core more power under the foot for plugs
for the ram its never have been so cheap take the max

Just my 2 cents but for years now my Windows (XP Pro) machines have run ultra, ultra great and reliable. I attribute this to a few things.

1. Use only Intel MB, Intel CPU and only high-rated (Kingston, Corsair, etc.) memory. I don't care what people say about ASUS, etc. MBs being compatible, I can tell the difference. Everyone I know with non-Intels has problems while I don't but they just keep saying that can't be it.

2. Keep the OS and software installations super clean. I use Ghost (makes/restores snapshots of hard drives -- there are other similar products). I use one dedicated drive for the OS and software, another for data. Once I get a super-clean install on the OS/software drive, I take an image of it onto the data drive and just keep it there. Every week or so, I re-load the OS/software drive from the image. I also always re-load the image after any power outtage or major surge, and before adding any new software (after which I create a new image).

3. Set up an "anything goes" machine to use for the internet. Don't use a "clean" machine for surfing. Let me tell you I have been doing software consulting for 20 years and have (and work with lots of others who have) big-time in-depth knowledge of the low-level "goings on". Just visiting to a few simple, supposedly reputable sites can hose a nice clean machine with all kinds of junk. Doesn't matter what browser.

Good luck, GLT

Everyone I know with non-Intels has problems while I don't but they just keep saying that can't be it.

I've been using AMD in my main computer for like 8 years and I've never had a problem.  I did have problems with 2 different model ATI vid cards so I switched to Nvidia.  No problems since.

However a P-4 3.0GHz is already multi-processor.

My 3.0 P4 only shows a single processor..

I still have a p3-800Mhz with 256MB of Ram as my main recording PC. Runs XP and cubase well :)
Intel processors, intel chipset and dual HD's.

Tried some video on it too. Not a good idea. :)

/R

If you stretch your budget to a Intel Core 2 Quad like mentioned above I definitely recommend it. From my own benchmarks my Q6600 @ 2.4GHz is around 600-800% faster than my previous Pentium 4 3.4GHz (Northwood C). My Q6600 can do 3.55GHz with an aftermarket air cooler but I normal leave it at 3.2GHz!!

Any of the Core 2 line up will be a remarkable step up from a 3GHz P4. You can choose any motherboard so long as it has an Intel chipset for example P965/P975/P35/x38/P45/x48 for LGA775 CPU's. I prefer ASUS motherboards for the stability and features as well as good BIOS's for overclocking

If you're on a budget even look at ebay for E6600/E6700/E6850/Q6600/E8400/E8500 ect ect, these can be had for a bargain.

The 3.06Ghz (Northwood B) P4 with 533FSB will have Hyper threading (dual thread capabilities and show up as multi core even though it's not really mc) as will the 3.0GHz 800FSB CPU's (Northwood C and Prescott).

Most if not all sequencers like Pro Tools/Cubase/Nuendo can take advantage of 4 cores sometimes more!

Buy a Quad core for less more money.
I had a dual core and used it in dual processor mode but with a quad core in dual mode you will still have a faster processor
and it is more stable. I changed to quad and am more than happy with it. Believe me i had a dual and there was a reason for change.
a quad is 10-20% faster as more stable. I use Cubase4 and Protools

gltech said:
1. Use only Intel MB, Intel CPU and only high-rated (Kingston, Corsair, etc.) memory. I don't care what people say about ASUS, etc. MBs being compatible, I can tell the difference. Everyone I know with non-Intels has problems while I don't but they just keep saying that can't be it.

That's wierd, I never ever used (nor I know anyone that use/ed) Intel MBs, and I never had a single problem with MB. Anyway, how can you tell that problem is MB related ???

ASUS and Gigabyte Mainboards are used in many audiostations so this was the reason buying a Asus PHW DH Board. And i am very happy with it. But theres very much that you wound need on the ASUS Deluxe boards like included W-Lan, TV etc... so i would decide for a Gigabyte Mainboard, Intel P35 Chipsatz. Professional Audioworkstations like from d-ax.de are using Gigabyte Mainboard with Intel P35 Chipsatz and go Quad instead of Dual. In the past they often used Asus PHW DH for the professional unit. They won different prices for their Workstations... look around for working systems and fish your inspirations from there.... See the page i wrote.. they know what they are build- and selling. they offer all parts you need for a working system. its a good inspiration  ;)

recnsci said:
gltech said:

That's wierd, I never ever used (nor I know anyone that use/ed) Intel MBs, and I never had a single problem with MB. Anyway, how can you tell that problem is MB related ???

You can't tell if some problems are related directly to the MB without sophisticated tools -- I'm just saying that the "common" Windows aggravations like blue screens, lock-ups and "Sorry, this program must be closed" have become virtually non-existent since I started doing the things I posted before. Being in software development, I know that buggy applications are part of the problem, which there's no getting around if you must use a particular product. I'm just sharing my formula for the best results based on my experience with around 75 to 100 PCs over a lot of years in my company. Any one of my "clean" PCs makes any Mac I work on in studios look ridiculous from a standpoint of stability, hanging, crashing, etc.

-GLT

Just a quick word of warning on the Gigabyte LGA775 boards (P35/X38/P45/X48), do not touch them unless you're 100% sure that the latency spiking issues (render the system pretty much useless for a DAW) have been resolved with a BIOS update(s).

Back