24V dc to 54V with only 2 components!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tekay

Hi!
Been thinking for a long time to use Traco's dc/dc converters to get 48 volt from 24 volt supply. As +/-15 volt is the highest voltage = 30V between + and - and since Tracos concerters input are totaly isolated from the output uyou can add these 30V to the incoming 24V = 54V.
So I connected the minus output (-15V) to the incoming +24v then you'll have 54V between incoming ground and the + 15V out. Just added a 220uF / 100V.
Tracos smallest converter is good for 35 mA. This will probably work with other brands too!

You'll find a schematic here!
http://www.vintagedesign.halmstad.net/diy/schem_mods.htm

[quote author="gyraf"]Are these converters relatively easily available?[/quote]
Just look in the RS, Farnell and Elfa catalogues and I think you'll find them.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

[quote author="Tekay"]Been thinking for a long time to use Traco's dc/dc converters to get 48 volt from 24 volt supply.[/quote]
I have asked about this before, and I was told that those DC/DC converters were too noisy for audio use, and that they radiate a lot of RF.

Have you made any measurements?

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Well, if you want 48v, you will have to use another regulator anyway, and with some extra filtering I think would make the noise go away...???

Don´t know about RF thought...

With a 4k7 load at the output the RMS meter showed -60dB, I guess the noise will be even lower with a regulator after the circuit!

Latest posts

Back